Decoy Forum Sponsors

Dakota Xtreme Dabblers Or Avian X Topflight

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Jimbo41, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Jimbo41

Jimbo41 New Member

I haven't bought decoys in probably 10 years. It is time for new ones. The foam filled Higdon have been great, but really would like to try something else.

Anyway, I’m looking at the Dakota Xtreme Dabblers and Avian X Topflight.
    Would like to hear from people who have them about the durability of the decoy and paint.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I have both.

In my opinion the Avian's are more durable.

Depending on which line you are looking a the Dakota's are fully flocked, or at least the drakes are. They look great but I baby them (single slot bags).

My Avians take a bit more of beating and held up very well. The Avians are made with a softer plastics that holds up to banging around, paint has been absolutely fine. (I also have the fully flocked Avian black ducks, love them)

If you are going small rig I think it's a toss up, large rig I think the Avians give a small advantage.

3. Jimbo41

Jimbo41 New Member

I hunt the Tennessee River and large area lakes. I’m really looking to buy around 3 dozen new decoys.
    Then use them with a 1.5 dozen mixture of pintail and coot decoys along with 12 goose floaters.

Silly question. Even growing up my father and grandfather used magnum and super magnum decoys. So, that is all I have ever used.
    The Avians are so much smaller than my old Higdon Magnums and Battleships.
    Have you seen that as a drawback on big water?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Yes, the smaller duck decoys can be a drawback on big water and almost useless in inclement weather and waves. If you are using a dozen goose floaters it won't be as much of an issue.

5. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

I've had some Dakotas for 5 season and the paint has held up great but the flocked heads are not for me. I have a hard time babying my deks and they will look real bad in short period of time if you don't. I'll go probable go with Avian X next time I buy some.

6. Hossdog

Hossdog Senior Refuge Member

If you have to pack in I would say Avian. They are lighter. I love the Dakotas and find that the birds do too. I have shot with both but for some reason those Dakotas just have that little extra pop to them. I have never had any issues with the flocked heads.

7. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

Avians are closer to life sized. Everyone else is making a 110% or 125% bird.

Where I hunt in far northern MN Mallard decoys, magnums, or the supermagnums are my friends. Because they flare birds like a blaze orange hat in the boat. Might as well be a neon sign that says HUNTERS!!!

Back to the OP’s question, my teal spread is Avian X. I see no reason to change it. I am not friendly to plastic decoys. These ones are holding up.

They all get tossed in the bushel basket and tumbled. Slotted bags are for the handcarved rig.

8. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I run both and favor the avians for durability. Dakota’s are good but I’m buying more and more avians

9. Jimbo41

Jimbo41 New Member

Everyone seems to be favoring the Avians.

Presley has the Avian X Fusion foam filled and the oversized on sale. May go that route.

Cannot find Dakotas on sale. I know I sound cheap, but I don’t want to pay more until I know if I like them.

10. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I would skip the foam filled decoys unless you always hunt out of the boat and have buddies who love to shoot decoys more than ducks. Of course divers are different but for puddlers I don't think the weight is worth it. I only own Avians because they have held up great. I know a couple guys who have bought Dakotas who are now switching to Avians.

Green Duck Truck likes this.