Damn! It's not even winter and i've

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Greybeard, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Already got the HOOK!!!

For Fly Fishing, that is.:yes Any of the rest of you come down with that Malady every year?

2. BigMike

BigMike Elite Refuge Member

The Browns are moving in the White! :tu
    (sounds like "code talk"... doesn't it? :) )

3. Greybeard

for that first bit of Spring air!
    I've read and re-read every Fly Fishing book I have(which includes ALL of John Gierachs wonderful paperbacks) and re-organized every Fly packet I have which is a considerable accomplishment. I used to spend free time in the Winter months chasing Ducks, Geese, Quail and such but had a stroke last May and most of the good things in life went to Hell in a hand-basket.
    Thank God my oldest Son (Brian) is a Fly Fishing nut like me and he has 2 buddys that are wayyyyy past the Fly Tying Gurus stage and leave me with an abundance of Flys every Spring.

I've never fished the White River but the boys have and said it was really fabulous....and....it's comparably close to Central Illinois. Fished the Little Red near Heber Springs back a number of years ago and it was pretty good also and fished quite a bit of the Big Horn Mts. in Wyoming some 16 years back. That trip was fabulous and I sure didn't want to come back to Illinois.

We have permission to fish in one farm pond here that has some Red Ears and Bluegills that run around the 1 pound mark so I guess I can learn to be satisfied since that's where I started.:tu

4. BigMike

BigMike Elite Refuge Member

The "circle of life"....
    I'm about 45 minutes from the river - we just bought our home here a couple years ago and I try to get over there as much as I can.
    It's a big place and I have a lot to learn about it.... Talked with a fella last week and they had been doing fantastic on the browns early evening - can't imagine what it's like now with a bright moon :tu

5. Greybeard

One of the guys that fishes with us ties some streamers that are all Black and 4 to 6"s long for his night fishing.(a la Wooly-Buggers style) that we catch some pretty good-sized LM and SM Bass with.
    The Fly Tier caught a 6lb-2 oz. Smally this past October in a stream North of town some 25 miles. Kidingly I told him he should have it mounted to which he replied "Yeh, mounted right back in this stream where she can produce another 1000 or so next Spring."
    That's good thinking IF we have any rain next Spring to refill the stream.
    Right here, right now Lake Springfield is the lowest it's been since 1955....and I WALKED across it back then.