Dang Bears

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by JFG, Aug 2, 2017.

1. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Just curious if any of you all have problems with bears getting into your corn. In NC, we have had an insurgence of black bears over the years. They can tear a small plot of corn to pieces. I just this weekend put up an electric fence to help deal with the problem. My partner just checked on it this evening and found our fence that goes over the vehicle crossover was down and torn up. Apparently one must have walked into it and went bezerk. Found two sets of tracks around the outside perimeter where they apparently were looking to get in. Only protecting 15 acres but they sure are a PITA around these parts.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Well, I don't have that issue, but have you considered using something like a motion detector with a loud siren? Dunno if it'd help or not, but with a little redneck engineering, you could make one out of a motion light or a garage door motion sensor and a siren, for probably fairly cheap. Not even sure if it'd work. Just an idea.

3. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

JFG I am up in tyrrell county and they are everywhere. It sounds crazy but we have been able to minimize (still get some damage but it isnt much at all) with a mixture of ammonia and repels all liquid concentrate (or similar animal repellent) and as loud a radio as I can get set to NPR. I fill a 4 gallon backpack up with ammonia and 32 oz. of repellent and spray a strip all the way around the impoundment either up on the dyke or right around the corn. NPR continually changes voices and sounds. They can get used to music so NPR works best. It sounds crazy but it definitely helps. Before we would loose 2 or 3 acres out of 6 total planted. Now its less than half an acre if that every year. Once you get through the milking stage on the corn they dont hit it as hard but from about early to mid july to when we flood in september i spray every 2 weeks or so. I sometimes start even earlier to keep them from getting used to going in there. Like I said it sounds crazy but it really works and isnt too expensive to do.
    Farmers around where we are say electric fences work for a bit but they will get through em eventually.
    Good luck

4. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

Dang the bears don't even like NPR hahahahaha

stevena198301 likes this.
  5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

My same thoughts Blue, lol!!!! :bow

KA, sounds reasonable to me, thanks. I'll have to try that but I don't have AC down there (running a 12V solar charger fencer) so I'll have to figure a way to provide them the ever popular NPR broadcast....:rolleyes:

My fencer does have good power at 3 joules and 10,000 volts, just got to make sure they contact it at every possible entry point. After my partner fixed the torn down part last evening, a neighbors dogs decided to test it unbeknownst to him. Said he heard a hell of a yelp and saw the dog do a summersault backwards and hit the ground, then took off like a scalded hound ....guess it works pretty good.:dv

6. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

foil or other metal that will hold a charge slathered in peanut butter. They take a big ol lick or bite and get a good jolt. Keep your weeds down and make sure no weeds or anything is touching your wires. I would think a 1-2 punch of the electric fence and spraying the repellent mix would keep them out of there. I cant imagine they would push through an electric fence if it smells like something they dont like as well.

7. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

JFG bears are huge problem down our way as you know. Luckily i know some bear hunters who don't care about waterfowl only bear. They are always looking for some new ground to hunt bear. Don't know if you have thought of this approach but if you can find some good bear hunters they can do some population control. The only problem you might run into is most are looking for the big boys, not the little guys. So i know i few that will come take the big ones then some that are just happy to get any bear. They take the smaller ones.

You do need some good size property to let them run the dogs that's been the only problem i've run into on smaller tracts of land. Just a thought. It's paid off especially if you are willing to hunt with them and use your bear tag, most like to just run the dogs and the thrill of the hunt if they have already used their tags. If you have never bear hunted it can be pretty interesting and fun.