Daughter wants a jeep wrangler....suggestions?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Trophyduck, Mar 16, 2017.

1. mikehmike

mikehmike Refuge Member

Avoid all the new jeeps...those things are expensive as hell. I looked at the new ones before I bought my tacoma last year...expensive as all get out for what you get

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

In this case, you may not.

3. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

Get a TJ with the I6 4.0 engine. I had two 4.0 Cherokees go 305k and 289k, respectively. I now have a 2004 Wrangler with 106k, and I'm driving it forever (or 300k, whichever comes first.) Then i'm buying a low mileage 2000-2001 Cherokee You can still find them on Ebay for about $10,000-15,000. Worth every penny, in my book.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

5. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

depends if you want a 2 or 4 door. if 2 door i would focus on 04 - 06 tj or lj. if 4 door i would stay clear of the 07 to 11 jk's due to motor issue. we bought a 06 lj for my daughter and found out the auto trannys 42rle don't have a great track record like the 4.0l engine. jeeps tend to hold their value well so be prepared to have sticker shock even for a 10 year old jeep. it is a jeep thing.

6. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

My son wanted a jeep for his first vehicle. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of owners of Jeeps. I bought my son's jeep 5 years ago and I stand by my choice to this day. The best jeeps are the TJ models with the 4.0 liter engine. I say best, not most prestigious or coveted. These vehicles are nearly bullet proof and reasonably priced. I know that the CJ is the last "real jeep", but I like the TJ's better and they are cheaper and more practical, not to mention not as prone to rollover. I would recommend getting one with a automatic transmission, they are harder to find but worth it. The only work that most people have to do to the TJ's is clutch replacements, especially if they go off road much. It is easy to blow a clutch if you get in a bad mud hole. The 4.0 liter is one of the most trouble free power plants around. Just bear in mind, they ride rough.

WaterFoulHunter likes this.
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Too bad, it was a couple of nice FJ40's!