Dave Smith Decoy

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Any reviews on the DSD turkey decoys? Premium price so I figure they must be something special. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the upright hen decoy. Going on five years in a row with no bird- after five in a row getting one! Man, those osceolas here are tough, so I have to employ every trick I know thus far including a heck of a lot of patience. Thank you!

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

I own the flock. If you can only buy one, get the jake. If you can swing two, get the jake and the submissive hen. The rest are just fluff, but I will admit the flock is pretty impressive, at least to me. I don't know if the turkeys really care that much!

I bow hunt turkeys from a blind. I put the DSD jake decoy at 5-7 yards and every gobbler we kill is standing right next to the jake. We usually let them fight the decoy for a few minutes before we shoot them. They don't seem to want to leave once they're in the decoys.

You can kill birds over $20 decoys too, so I'm not convinced that it's just the DSD's. Do you need $120 decoys to kill a turkey? Probably not, but I do think they help a little. And I have never had turkeys come into a set of cheap decoys the way they do the DSD's.
    Your results may vary. :D

The ACE material is durable and the paint adhesion is excellent. I'm going on 4 years with the DSD's and I have no complaints. They look as good today as they did when I bought them.

One last thing... if you're going to buy them, buy them now. Don't wait until the last minute. It takes at 2-3 weeks this time of year to get one.

3. Wally Dog

Wally Dog Senior Refuge Member

I believe in them!
    [​IMG]

4. Glades Ranger

Thank you, Wally and MJ! I went ahead and ordered the upright hen so it should be here well ahead of our mid-march start- I've even thought up a response to the missus concerning the need.:D I've used cheaper and older hens with some success here and because of the terrain I think the upright offers more visibility. In any case, positive thinking and attitude is probably as important- I mean I do the scouting religiously every year but I recall when I went in with an almost cocky mindset I usually scored. Thanks for the pics, those are big birds! Osceolas down here are darker and from what I've read and heard, not as vocal as other species. I have carried and used a Primos B-mobile with a real fan I made but this only attracted hens.

5. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

I am not positive but I think they will custom paint your decoy the way you want,Eastern,Rio,Osceolas,etc.
    Be worth asking about.

Greg

6. Glades Ranger

I ordered the hen decoy from Cabelas. The DSD site stated they were out of stock. On the Cabelas site they described them as the newer ACE material so that is what I am hoping. I may find, after I get it, that I may have to customize it for osceola coloring- anybody ever successfully painted a DSD decoy? On some of my older decoys I know darkening and highlighting some areas seem to get more attraction. Thanks for the replies!

7. hankyorke

hankyorke Elite Refuge Member

I hunt public 90% so any bearded decoy has me nervous. So I have only ever used a single hen, sometimes it works, sometimes she screws me and the birds hang up... :l Your statement is strong so can you elaborate on your thought process?

I am not trying to pick a fight, call you out, etc... I truly am very curious as I am really starting to enjoy spring turkey hunting and looking for every edge I can get.
    Thanks!

8. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

There is no way I'd even think about painting a DSD myself, and I think after you have it in hand, you will agree. If you want one darker, sell the one you have and order a new one from Dave. I doubt you will need to get that specific. Easterns don't seem to mind.

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

The last 10 or so birds we have killed were all squared off with the jake. The birds don't even look at the hens, they don't approach the hens and they don't leave the jake once they enter the set up. Granted, I have never used the jake alone in my set ups, but I know of some that do with good results. The jake decoy just seems to agitate the gobblers. I may, just for fun, set the jake out by itself this season and see how it goes.

10. birdartist

birdartist Elite Refuge Member

on why the guys are saying to get the jake..jakes will pull ol' pizzed off gobbler in...at times the gobbler will jamm up and expect the hen(decoy) to come to him..you have the ability to call and take care of the vocal stuff while the jake takes care of the visual....