DD, PP, or Griff?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by SERE Nate, Oct 23, 2017.

1. SERE Nate

SERE Nate New Member

I have pretty much narrowed it down to these 3 breeds.

I am 6 months away from getting a pup.

Will live inside with my gf and me as well as a 2 year old English bulldog.

Live in Whitefish MT. Will be doing a lot of fly fishing, rafting, kayaking, and hiking in the summer. Want a dog that is calm enough to join us, sleep outside the tent, etc.

In the winter we will be duck hunting mostly over water, and some upland game as well.

I'd rather have an amazing family dog and a very good hunting dog, than a terror in the house who is the best hunting dog in the world.

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

You need to add Pointing Lab to your list.

Brack36 likes this.
  3. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

This is a common question for those looking for a versatile dog... i.e. a Continental.

My opinion is obvious from my handle, but that said I'll pass on some observations.

I'm on my 4th DD, and I love her to death. I've done zero steadiness and zero FF, and she's held points on birds for a 20 min GPS track through thick Carolina cane. Last season she recovered two crips for other hunters in a public impoundment hours after they were shot in flooded timber... she's made some believers for sure. She's not ruthless on furred game... she has retrieved live to hand 2 possums, a skunk, and a fawn. But, any species that's hurt her is DOA. She is what I expect for a versatile dog.

I've judged PPs, and I like their temperament, field work, and have seen incredible noses! I'm seriously considering one in the future if I don't get another DD. I haven't seen enough to judge their overall coats or waterwork, but temperament is number one for me...
    and they have that. With age, I'm more into upland (I shoot upwards of 200 preserve birds a year in addition to a few woodcock), but I still follow the ducks once a week for the whole season.

My DD is out of PP motherliness on both sides... For a dog two generations out of a boar hunting dog you wouldn't know it based on her field work and disposition... but, her grandfather was solid all around as was her dad (and they passed on the genes)... I consider her a very intelligent dog, too. These Germans know how to breed the complete package...

My recommendation is be wary of the hype, see these breeds in person, learn how they were trained... i.e. e-collared, check corded, etc. vs. pure natural instincts. I cannot stand a dog that needs "steadiness" and "trained retrieve" for basic hunting. I have an utter contempt for the check cord. I'm also looking for a dog that doesn't require an e-collar. And, when I get a pup out of "tested" parents I expect a dog that has a lot of point, will hunt with me (not itself), has a NOSE and a strong natural retrieve instinct.

Good luck with your research,

3ds

lax likes this.
  4. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

My suggestion is go spend some time with each of the breeds. I've owned two of them and have been happy with both, but they are different. You had better include the gf in the decision or both of you may be living outside. :l

5. SERE Nate

SERE Nate New Member

That's the plan. I'm living in Whitefish MT so not sure if there is anyone in the area who owns them. Willing to drive

6. GLS

GLS New Member

if you haven't already, check out VersatileDogs.com
    Lots of good information on all three and some additional breeds you may not have considered.

7. Fiestdog

Fiestdog New Member

After owning Goldens and Labs for over 30 years I acquired my first DD this past year. My wife and I wanted a versatile dog that we could hunt waterfowl in the morning and quail/pheasants in the afternoon. We have hunted upland game with retrievers but just wanted to go a different route with a new dog. I could not be happier and wish I had acquired a DD years ago. They are definitely a versatile dog and will adjust to whatever you want to hunt and their natural ability will amaze you. My DD has a good on/off switch in the house but does need daily exercise to keep her energy level in check. I am not sure about all DD's but mine wants to be with me everywhere I go and she is as easy to control and also as obedient as any of the retrievers I have owned. As 3 drahthaars pointed out these dogs are very intelligent. Teach them a little basic obedience and then just hunt them. We also have a Boykin spaniel and they get along very well. No regrets at all with my first DD.

SERE Nate likes this.
  8. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

How do you know you have a dog like that when you buy a puppy? Or are you buying a dog that is already trained?

9. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

I research, dont rely totally on test scores (unless i was there), and temperament is #1...

Not an exact science, but ive been more than lucky so far.

10. bwag

bwag New Member

Doug & Shasta.jpg IMG_7170.jpg IMG_7326.jpg IMG_8274.JPG IMG_E8294.JPG

Last year at this time, I was in search of a dog with one request from my wife, that it be hypoallergenic. I grew up with golden's hunting dove and pheasant and had planned on getting one until my wife made her request. My desire was to have a dog I could take fishing in the heat, the cold and to rediscover hunting birds from the days of my youth!

At the time I didn't know it but what a blessing my wife's request was! Not that golden's and other breeds aren't great but I did some research and learned about Wire Haired Pointing Griffon's.

I found a breeder about an hour from my house and took the wife and kids to meet the breed, all went well, we hung out and my wife was fine, no sneezing/runny nose and my girls could climb all over them with no concern. I put a deposit down and picked up Shasta when he was 8 weeks old. He's 8 months now.

He's been nothing but an awesome dog! He's camped on the Rogue with me and the family, he's swam while I've fished the Klamath, loves to ride on a jet sled, in the picture below on the sled he's with a friend, he's scouted deer with me, hunted quail where I missed every bird, took him Pheasant hunting for the first time this past Thursday (It's been 30 years since I've hunted them), he pointed on 6 Pheasant for me and my brother I missed one...

He doesn't have the desire to run off, we've had bears come down to the river bank then swim across not far from us and he stayed with me. When we were scouting deer some cowboys were on horses pushing cattle through the saddles, they rode about 75 yards past us and he did great, no barking/chasing. He sleeps inside with us and has access to our yard when he wants to go out back but has no problem hanging out on the couch.

This winter he will be with me on the coast swinging flies for Steelhead and we're going to hunt ducks on the 29th (A first for both of us).

Can't say enough good things about the breed!

Mac5pack likes this.