DD, PP, or Griff?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by SERE Nate, Oct 23, 2017.

1. SERE Nate

SERE Nate New Member

Last night I put down a deposit with Broken Bow Kennels in Idaho Falls for a Griffon pup. They normally have a long waiting list, but just had someone back out and I was able to get a male from him. Pup should be ready Dec 15th, with plenty of time to get ready for the fall hunting season.

Since moving to Whitefish, I have been spending 2-3 days a week hunting waterfowl over water with some really good results.

So far I have ordered the following books. Lots of reading in my future!

How to help gun dogs train themselves. Joan Bailey
    Gun Dog. Wolters
    The training and care of versatile hunting dog. Winterhelt
    Training the versatile hunting dog. Chuck Johnson
    Dont shoot the dog. Karen Pryor
    The art of raising a puppy. Monks of new skete
    How to be your dogs best friend. Monks of new skete.

I also picked up a Garmin Alpha 100 TT GPS unit for the pup.

J.SCOTT likes this.
  2. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like it all fell into place, for you. Best of luck and enjoy.

3. madduckdog

madduckdog Elite Refuge Member

I own a DD and a PP... this is my second DD.. they are very comparable the breeder will make the difference.
    I like German system dogs ... both of my dogs went through the testing system and the PP scored better. the PP marks better is better after the shot and has much more range... BUT the DD is a better dog in the duck blind a lot more easy is much more of a waterdog. PPs have a reputation of being a much less man sharp dog but mine is might bite someone is down right mean to the vet ... my DD has never bit at anyone has barked but never growled. the two are very close ... which litter you choose in the two would be more important that which pp or dd in my view. We need more German system PP in north america the DD has seen great growth in recent years... so the litter choice is greater with DDs.

4. madduckdog

I don't like the Joan Bailey book... she beleives that you must get the puppy at 10 weeks or later any eariler and you are messing up.. (choose a different breeder).. most breeders don't won to keep a puppy that long... so the DNA is more improtant than the 10 week deal I feel strong about this

5. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

PP's, DD's and Grif's - How cold of weather do you guys hunt with these breeds? Waterfowl hunting in Montana can be -25F and its tough on even the labs here. I got a Chesapeake just because the birds get hot when the temps get cold.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

My friend, @Cooper, has had Griffs since I started hunting with him. He lost one recently, and replaced it with a new pup this year. We hunted over her for 3 days this week. She was amazing on upland, especially for her first year. Then, during the evening, she would curl up in his lap, or mine. All his dogs have been very family friendly.

However,

Not a top choice for hunting over water in MT. He tried to bring his when we hunted the creeks over decoys. Even with vests, they were obviously suffering. Now, hunting upland and getting wet, regardless of the cold, no problem. NOT over decoys. My lab would have ice hanging off her, no vest, and narry a shiver.

They are long legged, and seriously cover some ground. I am constantly impressed every year I visit him.

7. madduckdog

in Arkansas the water starts getting hard starting 32 degrees.

8. Golovkin

When the water is moving fast it gets way below 32 degrees before freezing. You can watch the ice form instantly as the dog comes out of the water, not because the air freezes it so quickly, but because the water has stopped moving.

9. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Commander Scott was wrong, you can deny the laws of physics!!!

pud123 likes this.
  10. Golovkin