Dead Church

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Buffalo Howler, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

I have heard this term lately. It got me thinking. Ever wonder what a "live" church looks like? Much of what constitutes Christianity today is tradition. I would have to say a dead church has traditionally held to traditions. It has replaced the truth with a tradition of what they do more than what Christ did. The guy talking about the dead church said it was full of gray haired seniors with little or no families present. I could say that there is getting to be a few of those around. But what makes them dead? Is it the attendance? The tradition? The people? For someone to say there is a dead church you have to say there is a dead Christ. There is such a thing as dead men gathering together in the name of Christ.
    For someone to say there is a "live" church they have to be speaking about the life of Christ. If someone asks if its a good church we must ask, "Is Jesus there?" Jesus died once. He lives in every true believer. If someone was to state there is a dead church you are saying that Jesus is not living in the people anymore. The Holy Spirit is the church in us. The spiritual body of Christ on earth here today. From the day of Pentecost to today. He will never leave us. He promised. This is the church. You can make yourself a Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran or even a Methodist but you can not make yourself a Christian. God does. He places his Spirit in us and gives us new life. This is eternal. Forever. His Word becomes our word. Not even Satan can take this from us.
    So for someone to say there is a dead church all they can say is there's dead men.

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I have heard the term "the church is dead". In that situation it meant that members were not performing Christs work, living his gospel etc.