Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Dead Geese in Idaho

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by IDSLAYER, Oct 11, 2017.

1. IDSLAYER

IDSLAYER Refuge Member

With the season opener just a few days away, don't know if I should be concerned or not. In the Rathdrum area, there is a man made lake called Radiant Lake. This lake for the past month or so has held up to approx. 300 birds. Some days they are here, other days they are sitting else where. During this time period, approx 50 birds have been found dead along the shore line. Fish & Game was contacted and several birds were taken to be tested for the cause of death. I contacted Fish & Game today, and was advised no test results have been returned to them yet. When asked if some of these birds are harvested with the up coming season, can a person eat them without any worries. I was advised at this time they did not know.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Keep us posted on what you hear. I've not seen any dead birds on our end of Hayden Lake.

3. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

None on Avondale....

4. IDSLAYER

IDSLAYER Refuge Member

Well today I received news from Fish & Game on the cause of the Geese dying in the area of Radiant Lake in Rathdrum. Going back to August, while mowing my daughters lawn I observed two adult men walk down to the shoreline. They then began throwing something into the water and onto the beach. I found it odd that these two would be feeding the geese. I wish I would of followed my thoughts on what was happening and taken my phone to video the two. Knowing how upset most of the residents were with the problem of the geese on the lake, I suspected that these two may be up to no good. The results of the the geese dying was determined to be caused from rat poison. Now I can't say for sure that these two gentlemen were the cause of this, but If I was a betting man, I know where I would be putting my money.

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the update. So, if a bird eats rat poison but doesn't die and I kill and eat it, will I get a dose of rat poison? Did F&G say anything about this?

6. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

We need to know what rodenticide was used to determine the secondary poisoning risk. Many of the rodenticides are metabolized quickly into calcium, others would only be in the livers of geese. Many people are are actually prescribed "rat poison" for blood thinners. If the OP can find out which poison the birds consumed - I can tell you exactly what risk factors there are.

7. Gander-Commander

Gander-Commander Refuge Member

Besides any possible health threat, isn't poisoning migratory birds a federal offence?