Dead Meat

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Native NV Ducker, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I don't normally watch the show, but it was on after Meat Eater, which I do watch. In the opening, I heard the host say they were hunting coot.

Hunting in the Delta, in North California, they went out in a bass boat, let it come to a rest, and started blazing away. The host was careful to explain the rules for hunting out of a boat, and it seemed they followed them well. They just let the wind blow them into the swimming flock, and seemed to shoot most of them in the air. Probably a lot of editing there, but who cares.

Then they took them to a local resturant, and cooked them in a Cacciatore sauce, after breading and browning to a med rare. Served them over polenta. After tasting them in the kitchen, and loving them, they served them to customers. Everyone loved it. Of course, nobody believed they were coot.

So, there you have it. Coot. It's what's for dinner.

2. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind watching the specks and sprig work
    I'm sure they're better than spoonies. :D

3. johnliester

johnliester Senior Refuge Member

I used to eat a lot of spoonies until they put out a health advisory against it. Dang they were good...

4. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

I served a bunch of my friends coot. Most of them it was their first serving of wild bird. They hadn't the slightest clue what it was and all they knew is it was good.

I still won't shoot them on saltwater though. The salt taints everything.