Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Deale Island Reports?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Mako, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Mako

Mako Refuge Member

Has anyone been done to Deale recently?? I am wondering how the bird numbers are doing.

I usually plan a trip or two down there in early January, and am starting to wonder if the birds are showing up.

2. S.Christopher

S.Christopher Elite Refuge Member

I didn't see any real impressive numbers when I was there on Saturday. A few ducks though.

3. lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter Chesapeake Forum Moderator Moderator

First Couple of days were decent but then the birds dissapeared. Been seeing nowhere near the numbers that were there. The birds are getting shy someone shoots and they raise up 100 yards. Wish I could give you a better report but thats the truth hunted it all last week.

4. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

More like, ....someone shoots a mile away and birds several hundred yards in the air raise up another 100 yds. They went way passed the shy stage sometime last week.

Last year there was very little widgeon grass growing there. This year there is some, but not alot. I think that there isn't enough feed to hold them once the shooting starts.

A friend insisted that we try Deal again last Tuesday, even though I assured him it would be a waste of time and we'd be better off hunting ANYWHERE else. Well he wanted to go anyway.

We where there from dawn til dusk. The conditions were perfect. Partly cloudy, wind blowing 20 -25 mph, a front moving in that evening, and only a handful of hunters besides ourselves.

The impoundment should've been full of birds. NOT.

My report on Deal? There's nothing to report.

5. berettafan

berettafan Elite Refuge Member

Well I'll back up LDH and MD's reports. Stayed till 9:45 this morning and while I saw a few ducks it was as if I didn't have decoys out and the duck call scared the heck out of 'em (of course i am a fairly lousy caller so that might have had something to do with it).

Erik

6. Mako

Mako Refuge Member

Thanks for the input.

Looks like I'll be putting the trip off till a little later in the season, and will try to stick to the local spots (Pax).