Dear Friends, Regarding Scull Boats... your opinions, please

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by MightyLayoutBoy, Jul 2, 2006.

1. MightyLayoutBoy

MightyLayoutBoy Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Dear friends,

I was reading the interesting posts on this subject, in the thread generated by Diverduckpup. A lot of savvy scullers have answered, and I wished to get your opinions on something, if you please.

We have been holding back on bringing a scull boat to the market, mainly due to what I feel might be a very small degree of interest. As the posters have described, sculling can be a most rewarding and yet sometimes very challenging means of hunting waterfowl.

I used to watch an old timer who sculled the lake we started layout hunting on, 30 years ago, this year. He was very deadly... but he took his time. Most sculls were within 15 yards of his quarry, which consisted mainly of Canada geese, Redheads, and Mallards. He got his share of Scaup, and a few Cans, too.

We travelled to Pool 13 and the town of Clinton, IA back in 2003, to meet a scull boat builder/legend by the name of Ralph Thomson. Ralph had retired from making his particular 2 man boat, after crafting them for some 50+ years. In that time, Ralph hand made over 250 of these boats, which were primarily used up and down the large Pools of the Mississippi river. As many of you know, this river hosts hundreds of thousands of migrant ducks, geese, and swans, as they make their southward journey, each Fall. The hunters along these big Pools capitalized on the arrival of the birds, and some old time scullers I met, tell stories of 7 of Ralph's boats converging on a flock of many thousands of geese that lit in the middle of the river. The count of birds shot was staggering. Many other current owners describe how they motor along the river's shore with a small outboard motor. When they see a sizeable flock of ducks or geese to scull on, they remove the motor, stow it in the boat, set the scull oar, and set out after their quarry.

I will post several pics of this big water 2 man sculler for your opinions on both sculling interest, and this particular model. Again, we have been reluctant to bring this excellent craft to market, due to the high cost of creating molds, advertising, and so on, versus what sort of interest there might be in such a product. There are residents along the Mississippi river that would love for us to bring Ralph's creation back, and we are proud to have established a contract with Ralph and his family to do exactly that.

I would appreciate any/all comments from you... some of the most dedicated and knowledgeable waterfowlers anywhere.

Thank you for considering this, and God Bless!

Mark Rongers[​IMG]

2. MightyLayoutBoy

nm[​IMG]

3. MightyLayoutBoy

nm[​IMG]

4. MightyLayoutBoy

nm[​IMG]

5. blubilblaster

blubilblaster Banned

That thing looks sweet:tu

6. birdartist

birdartist Elite Refuge Member

it would be way too high of profile boat for our hunting here but for bigger water it looks like a very dry hunt.i have a burdick scull out of california that are no longer in production and am very pleased with it.it is a very low profile boat and is solid fiberglass with wooden transom.i have run into an issue with the top and bottom halves trying to seperate in spots and it seems that i have spent about as much time working on it and hunting.but considering mr burdick was battling cancer when the last of his boats were made im not complaining and feel fortunate to have one of these hard to find boats.i know hayden has a boat out know in a one and two man version.i have not seen the two man but a friend has the one man and seems to enjoy it.good luck with what ever you decide and im sure the boat will be a nice addition to your fleet:tu

7. duck scout

duck scout Elite Refuge Member

Mark I can only offer you the opinion of someone who will be sculling for the first time this season. Without knowing the exact specs, it looks very seaworthy. I do agree that the shield makes it appear a little on the tall side. As a consumer of these products I would welcome another option esp from a fine outfit such as yours. I can however appreciate your hesitation.

8. Wislnwings

Wislnwings Senior Refuge Member

Curious, what are some of the specs (length, width, weight)? I've hunted with a friend of mine in his sculling boat and loved it. I've been kicking around the idea of buy one of my own and now living in close proximity to Pools 9 & 10 gives me good reason.

9. BigAlD

BigAlD Senior Refuge Member

Sweet boat ! The height is of no concern. Its that way to hide any movement of the hunters. This style of boat is also higher in the front because the sculler is in a forward position instead of laying on their back. You can develop more speed if needed this way and much better turning control vs the style which you lay on your back.Its also alot more comfortable for long sculls.

I've tried both types and this design would be worth offering in my opinion. Sculling is appealing vs layout hunting because you can do it by yourself and don't need many or any decoys to be successful. I have also built two layouts and hunted that way. This is fun also and maybe a little more rewarding in that you have fooled the birds into your lap.

We used to have alot of scullboats and rollovers here on the Susquehanna but its become a lost art.Lots of different styles which go back to the market hunting days.The boat I have has a hidden compartment for hiding ducks and you can still see where the wood got and indent in it from laying their shotgun barrel over the screen.

10. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Anyone interested in this Thompson Scull boat? IF so I own it and its for sale.