Dear friends, The Mighty Layout Boys are proud to introduce our newest layout boat

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by MightyLayoutBoy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

While I dont own a 10ga anymore a 10ga shell fits a drain plug perfect, Lost a few in ice and quickly grabbed the ole shell. Can use a 12ga too but need some plastic to help seal it off.

I ussually have some waterproof marine epoxy around as well. Works even under water. where the tapes wont stick.

2. goose_slayer

goose_slayer Senior Refuge Member

I have nothing bad to say here. I only want to shine a little sunshine regarding Mark Rongers and Greg Bires trip to the coast to hunt with Ruben. I was the fortunate recipient of Mark's thoughtfulness to a brother waterfowler on his way out to the coast for the sea duck hunt wit Capt. Ruben Perez. You see, I had just sold my TDB and realized the void in my hunting capabilities after it left the yard. I wanted a boat I could hunt by myself in and work some tough water if needed. I contacted Mark to discuss his new Chuck Huff MLBBSB as a possible replacement for my TDB. As luck and fate would have it, my home in Upstate NY is between MLB in Indiana and the coast of Massachusetts. Mark's rig was loaded to the gills for their hunt on the coast with Ruben but he still agreed to put a new Chuck Huff on the top of his truck and drive to my door with it. This made it possible for me to get the boat with reduced shipping because he was going my way. That is not the conduct of a ruthless businessman. That IS the conduct of a Waterfowling Brother. My wife and I had the good fortune of some good company for lunch at our home with Mark and Greg. I even dug out my DU magazine and got the pages signed by "The Boys". I received a new boat but I will say I got much more. I asked for certain details to my boat that were out of the ordinary and Mark stepped up and made it happen. Best of all, I made two more new friends in this wonderful brotherhood of waterfowlers. If Mark swings out this way again, I hope to enjoy another lunch and good company. Mark and Greg to me, are what this sport truely represents.:clap:clap:clap:clap

Ron Schuna

3. goosewa

goosewa Elite Refuge Member

Tony,

First the titanic does not fall under the flotation requirements that small recreational vessels do. Please do not muddy the topic by comparing apples to grapes.

Does not matter if a boat is swamped and floating upright or it is overturned as long as the boat is floating at a positive level the floation is doing its job.

A boat without Positive level Flotation has flotation but when swamped or filled with water it would float bow up and stern down in the water vertically. Positive level floation allows a boat to float perfectly as it would under normal use, in a horiztonal manner.

I think I understand. :rolleyes:

4. goosewa

If you do not use the wood bungs they can be shaved with a knife and used as fire started should you be stranded without a lot of wood.

Plastic works in a pinch but, I prefer wood.

5. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

No obviously you do not, Titanic or not. Its the same thing. Air creates floatation, And a sealed air chamber is legal as well.

You are correct on level floatation and what it does yes. But its what it dont do if a boat is swamped and hit by a wave. nearly all boats are not made to self right:yes

So once they would get water in them and hit by a wave and roll well there done.

Sure in the pool with capacity and full of water they float level but again there is nothing to roll it. Trust me I assure you it dont take much to roll a layout once its full of water even with level floatation. I have done it in our test pool just for fun.

I give up to many guys who know it all on here.

I'll stick to minding my own business but Im sure it wont be long before Ruben and Lee are back putting there nose into my threads. I'll just ingore them from her on out guys, Sorry to become ingulped in there tactics.

Have a good and safe season.

6. goosewa

You might say I have logged some hours offshore.

My dad has owned large sailboats since I was a newborn, and have been all around the great lakes. I took the advanced power squadron course at the age of 14 and could plot courses and Loran waypoints at the same age.

My uncle used to own one of the well known Marina's off of the ICW around Stuart Florida and my cousin is a charter captain.

7. seaduckhunt

seaduckhunt Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Jeeezzzzeee,

Here I am, should be trying to get ready for a fishing trip tonight, and like looking at a bad car-wreck... I go and post on this thread.... :rolleyes:

Well, I want to take this time to apologize to Mark, and other duck hunting brothers that added positive comments on this thread, for my contribution to this posting going off-topic. My only explanation, is that it's hard for me to see someone attack, a great fellow like Mark Rongers, and his boats!

I know, I should not allow people to bait me like this, but hey.... I'm still learning :l

I was just reminded that you should never get into an argument with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

So again, my apology to all .....

8. goosewa

Tony,

The floatation chambers on the titanic had doors which needed to be closed into to make them water tight. If the doors were not closed or properly sealed they will leak.

I prefer closed cell foam flotation encapsulated in a bulkhead rather than sealed air chambers for that reason. If the flotation chamber suffers damage you have no flotation.

I don't recall ever bringing up self righting. Totally different subject....

9. goosewa

Ruben,

No apologies needed for me. Have a safe and successful fishing trip. :tu

10. DiverFreak

DiverFreak Elite Refuge Member

Whether you are wrong or right, An apology only shows you are of good character and a stand up guy!:tu