Death very thought provoking, I will try to do this if I am terminal

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Tough situation.

It should be legal in all states.

3. Lip Shooter

Sick as it may sound after putting our dog down in our home this makes sense to me now.

4. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

Nobody can stop you from committing suicide if that's what you want to do. The only difference here is that she got a prescription to do it instead of a multitude of other ways that would accomplish the same thing.

5. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

In a previous life I investigated a suicide involving a WW2 vet. The note he left explaining why he did what he did changed me forever on this topic.

He had arranged his military medals and such on the kitchen table. In his note he spoke about what he experienced in the Pacific theater during the war. The pain and suffering he and all suffered through and how proud he was of his service. He then described his battle with cancer. The pain, drugs and the burden he put on others really bothered him.

He apologized over and over for what he had to do to put an end to his suffering and wished he could have taken a pill and gone out with dignity. He shot himself in the head while sitting in a chair in his carport. It was a beautiful November day...Veterans day.

You are correct that placing a gun to your head and pulling the trigger will do the same as taking a pill that will put you out until your heart rate and respiration stops. At the end your dead. But the impact to family are hugely different as well as the peace of mind of the person who makes the decision.

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

As someone who has had cancer, and has considered and accepted their own mortality, I can easily accept and understand her choice. She is pursuing the things that she can, and when the time comes, will be at peace.

I can vividly remember looking at a scan after radiation treatment , and seeing the cancer in my neck and chest, and knowing that it was metastatic and with an unknown prognosis. I hoped for the best, but planned for the worst. I certainly had as one of my choices, death by my own choosing.

I now live life to its fullest. I hunt and fish as much as possible, vacation whenever possible, have a nice single malt scotch , and enjoy all of life's pleasures a little more now. Life is too short, and none of us knows when their expiry date gets stamped.

If you have a chance to do something in life, grasp it now and do it. You may never get the opportunity again.

Good health to everyone here. W.

7. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

The bad part is you can kiss your life insurance good bye!

8. Lip Shooter

Not mine, and does it really matter???

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

It is in the end suicide...

Not the same as "my life sucks and I am checking out of this crappy place" though... Watching people suffer through months or years in terrible pain with no quality to life, and nothing to look forward to... I do not understand why we as society are so hesitant to provide this as an option for the terminally ill or those with chronic and intense pain...

When I had my kidney stones I remember thinking of a friend of mine who had cancer... I had a light at the end of my tunnel, and was in no way considering ending my life, but I also remember thinking "what if every day from here on out only got worse?".....

I am glad she has this option. I am also glad that she can change her mind if she so chooses...

10. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

voluntary euthanasia there is no dignity in that just the absolute guarantee you are going to die and go straight to hell.