Decisions to make.

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by finster52, Jan 3, 2018.

1. finster52

finster52 New Member

I'm 66. Thinking of a Marsh rat, either poly or glass. Or make a hybrid. Weight same , fairly close. Need easy to move boat. Also tow as a layout at times. Any thoughts. Suggestions.
    Bob

2. longduck

longduck Senior Refuge Member

I made a Hybrid a few years back. Was fun making it as I had never attempted any boat building before. Only a few places to use it though in Southern CA.

3. TrpD345

TrpD345 Senior Refuge Member

My son and I each have a poly Marsh Rat. He is 13 and bought his off Craigslist in TN. They never show up on the east coast. He got his on January 1st last year and immediately started killing ducks with it. I had to have one and just had mine shipped last week. They are great little boats. Very stable. With the right blind it can be used anywhere.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If you like making things, then go hybrid. If you don't like making things, or don't have the shop/tools/skills to make a boat, then the Marsh Rat or Final Attack might be the way to go.

5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

I've had, and used, both the Marsh Rat and the Aquapod. Hands down the Aquapod is, in my opinion, a much better boat. I have the 12 ft model and wouldn't get rid of it. I think it weighs 65 lbs and can handle me, (265 lbs), my lab (65 lbs), decoys and all my gear. However compared to the Marsh Rat it's much more expensive. That being said, if I was buying a new boat I would also look seriously at the Carstens Pintail.

6. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

I've got a Poly Marsh Rat. Great little boat and I wish I had a second one.

7. buzzkill

buzzkill Senior Refuge Member

I have a poly Marsh Rat. Great little boats and good luck if you can find one. I know they quit making them for a while and I am not sure if they are being manufactured again. I have killed a ton of birds out of mine. I put the blind cover on it and its almost like a layout blind that floats. I am able to carry it on my 1860. Works really good in one area I hunt where the water is not more than 3 feet deep with the only cover being small willow root wads etc.. that are surrounded by water. The ducks never know I am there..

8. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Here in Florida there is a guy making copies of the Carstens Puddler...in composite....very light and nice.
    I have a Hellbender 10 ft...very light and works great for me.

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

You have a name or a linky?

10. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

I will try and get a phone #...