Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Declining # of Waterfowl Hunters

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Duckin' Lost, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Duckin' Lost

Duckin' Lost New Member

2. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

Honestly. I think it is just lack of opportunity forcing people out.

straitmeat72 and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  3. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

There's many more factors involved here. Not that it means a lot, but here's my take on the reduction:

1. Old hunters remember the good ol days and can't conform to current laws. They ain't comin' back.
    2. Ducks aren't migrating as far south, and if they do, they ain't staying long. This eliminates huge swaths of potential hunters.
    3. Increased "single sport" training in kids. The 4 letter man is high school is getting rare these days. Kids now play a single sport, and play it all year. There's little down time for kids or parents.
    4. Migration has shifted, especially in the Atlantic Flyway for many reasons, urban sprawl being most prevalent.

4. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Money, lack of access and poor/unclear and confusing regulations.

5. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

i know many of the ole timers threw in the towell when lead was banned and it got tough to put corn out.

6. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

If you look at the graph even after lead was banned hunter numbers steadily increased. However large dip in 2012 that looks to be a pattern

7. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

The ducks do seem to be showing up later than when I was younger. We use to kill ducks all season long. It's deff harder now which chases the old guys out cause there to old n the young cause it's to hard. Access is hard it's either real expensive or a lot of work. It takes a special kind of stupid to get up at 2 drive 2 hours drag a boat across the mud or bust ice for who knows how far to kill a few ducks. But I love it. We still kill ducks on a regular we just had to switch up some of our tactics. It is wierd though cause it seems like there's a lot more people out there than years ago. We did switch to a lot more puddle duck hunting. Grew up just diver hunting but they show up so late it's not much of a season. I remember killing bluebills in the oct split.

8. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

I'm sure it's less access and all the above mentioned items above. But man does it seem like there's more waterfowl hunters now than I've ever seen and I've been going hunting since 1979

9. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

I have been hunting in Ohio for over 40 years and I see allot more hunters now than I ever have. I think it's the big money buying clubs and leasing property pushing the average hunters to less and less area. With farmers making less and less the money from leases is needed. Unfortunately it causes more crowding and confrontations.

10. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I'm 42 and started hunting in 1992. With the exception of the wildlife management areas I started hunting on, all other public and private land I started hunting on in my first 5 years of hunting is gone due to development. You cannot physically or legally hunt there because of buildings. That is tens of thousands of acres spread over 4-5 counties.

Didn't see that mentioned in the article.