Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Declining # of Waterfowl Hunters

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Duckin' Lost, Mar 16, 2017.

1. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Truthfull reality is we live in the worst flyway in the us. Are there good spots , yes but on a whole were last. Cameron parish Louisiana shoots more ducks than the entire Atlantic flyway

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I thank my lucky stars I am where I am. I have never paid to hunt. I'll bring my farmers gifts, or drop off a bottle after a hunt etc, but not a dime changes hands. Of course I made the choice to move here nearly 30 years ago, and I have started my business and family here in that time. To see what you guys are paying boggles my mind. For some of those leases, you could spend a month up here and shoot limits every day.

3. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

Its the kids.

My buddies have brought their 10-14yr old kids duck hunting and I am astounded by the lack of enthusiasm. We have tons of birds on our rivers and we get plenty of action with a dozen decoys and a short walk. There is hardly any effort involved other than sitting in a chair and holding your shotgun. Of the several kids that have come, all get bored after the first few volleys. They try hitting some birds, some even get a few, but they don't seem too eager to master the skills. Pretty soon they are laying down taking a nap, as if uninterested and tired.

When most of us were that young - we were delighted to be out doing something besides a chore. If you were 12 and got to go hunting - there was nothing better! Most of us day dreamed about it and visualized taking shots so many times that we were surprisingly deadly at that age. We also had BB guns and wandered off into the local wood patch or field harassing small game every chance we got. I've probably launched more BB's single file through an air gun than I have a shotgun! Today's parents don't let the kids out of their sight.

Kids today are keyed into electronic stimulation, their interests are not the natural world. Sitting out in nature as a rugged individualist, with only your own thoughts and imagination to entertain you - is rare in this generation.

We are failing to preserve the culture.

Smackdown 870 likes this.
  4. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Cause we give gmtje kids everything today. They don’t earn nothing, we give em youth hunts dead nuts in the rut and they never had to spend every weekend since sept in the woods squirrel hunting and learning skills to build enthusiasm. I appreciate days for kids but oppose youth hunts.

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

My kids were interested during the seasons from age 12-17 or so, and then the interest seemed to wane, as other interests became priorities. They both live in the city now, and my youngest is involved in curling competitively, and is in university, so him time is very limited, and my eldest is a project manager at a new company, and is trying to work his way up in the company quickly, so is working as much as possible. I won't force them to come out. If they drift back on their own, I'll support them all the way. As youth hunters, the boys were superb. They would set up the decoys properly, could work the dog, would be patient, and both could shoot the lights out. On my youngest boy's first hunt, his brother took a limit of 8 ducks and 5 canada geese on 14 shots, with 3 sets of triples. I cleaned a lot of birds that fall. Those memories will always be there for me, and I am appreciative of the special youth season up here (it used to be a 1 week season prior to regular season), as it allowed the kids to access some great fields and have great hunting.

6. carolina girl

Why couldn’t they have the same during regular season. My father did it for us in the 70s and 80s when there was no youth season.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Where is the passion, where is the excitement? I think a lot of this next generation is dead inside. I remember not being able to sleep the night before a duck hunting trip. Was up at 3 cause I couldn't sleep. Went over every piece of gear and ammo again that I had packed. Was shivering like a Lab in the blind, not from cold but from excitement and adrenaline . I remember being so thrilled at shooting my first goose that I hooted and hollered like a Indian in the movies, everyone thinking I was crazy I still hoot and holler with downed birds, a little less warrior dance. I remember watching the sky and waters constantly from when the stars disappeared to when the red ball melted into the earth. I remember thinking my new Mossberg Pump had fine walnut and my $18 Olt was king. I thought that rubber waders that didn't trickle ice water near your nuggies had something wrong with them. That army camo was great and Old School camo was King. Adding a dog to the game made it like I died and was allowed into heaven. I was so thrilled for two things. Simply being alive and being a goose hunter. Everything else was nuthin. Nothing else mattered when squared up.
    I like the guys I hunt with now . We're old guys. The oldest is in his 80's, we're in our 60's and the Baby is 55. We still hoot and holler when the birds hit the water or dust and and bust a belly gut at a good joke. We still jump around the parking lot when we meet and work like dogs to set up.
    Sometimes we take the kids. Teens and twenties. None of them have asinine character like we do. They don't carry on like teenagers should. One does. He likes to be sent out with a handful of shells and run down cripples. Brings them back with his pump under his arm and a gooses neck in each hand, with a big ole smile that stretches from beak to beak. Works hard setting up and breaking down and has puppy eyes when we might have him drive our trucks to the end of the field by himself at 15. Now THATS my kind of kid.

Smackdown 870 likes this.
  8. carolina girl

kids today don't need to earn it, they'll just wait for youth day.....and we'll keep giving it to them. If you have a child, everyday should be youth day, not sure why you need a special day to take your son or daughter hunting.

Allan likes this.
  9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Agree. Too many of us cater to them and nothing is craved for, wished for, worked for and saved up for and that is not real life.

10. carolina girl

They just don't understand how special a big buck is anymore.