Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Declining # of Waterfowl Hunters

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Duckin' Lost, Mar 16, 2017.

1. LeadSled1

LeadSled1 Senior Refuge Member

Honestly, unless you are a die hard waterfowler is the juice worth the squeeze to start from scratch in today's climate? We tend to look at it through our duck camo colored glasses. It is hard enough to get kids involved in deer hunting, let alone the extras needed for waterfowl. Throw on top of that trying to identify birds on the wing so you do not shoot the wrong species or sex of duck, and what limits of what species and sex you can have on hand plus how to interpret a hybrid in this so you don't get fined. Then there are other statues you have to know about, and even if you do know them they may get interpreted differently. Last week a bunch of kids (half were new to waterfowl) got popped for hunting in a Expanded Safety Zone ($500 fine each) on Thanksgiving while goose hunting. The Expanded Safety Zone per Statue 10-140 (g) (2) is only active during school hours or at a time when a school–approved activity is taking place. The School and offices were officially closed on Thanksgiving and this school had no school-approved activities on that date per their official web page and online calendar which was checked before hand. I loaned gear to help get them all out there. Those new kids will not be back to try waterfowl again, and the parents are faced with a paying $500 fine per kid or taking a day off work and the kid out of school to attend court. What do you think they see through their non-hunter glasses? I'm sure they share their experience with their non-hunter friends and people feel like it is too much trouble and too much money. Go play with the Xbox that was already paid for last Christmas, just don't buy too much content upgrades.

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Of the many lessons I have learned through hunting, learning to use the law to your advantage is the best. I hope they get the fines thrown out.

It ain't supposed to be easy. I have no issue with the Youth Days as they do not take away (at least on the WF side) from the full season.

3. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Remove the crop damage permits and let youth shoot does on farms with deer problems in September.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

LeadSled,
    If the kids were legal, fight the fines in court and teach them a better lesson than just beetching about injustice. Tell us the rest of the story. Who was the warden, what did he/she say when told that school was out and that it was legal to hunt there ? Is it being fought in court? What county?

5. LeadSled1

Honestly I wasn't at the location when it occurred, I loaned out ground blinds the night before. So I do not know the conversations or other information. I do know they were 170 yards inside of the property line via rangefinder (was verified by NRP) and one of the kids purchased his license at 16 and turned 17. He did not have his federal stamp and is on the hook for that. At that price I would expect all to go to court. With 6 boys 16-18 the conversation becomes garbled on what was said but they did say NRP were very courteous and other than the fine it was a pleasant encounter. I have a feeling there is a disconnect somewhere between the code, what is printed in the Hunters Guide (which is completely different yet not legally binding), and how interpretations came in to play.

6. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

With that many kids (how many are in a "bunch"?) involved the parents should get together and lawyer-up.

7. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I was always under the impression that if a license was bought at age 16 it was valid for the remainder of the season.

8. John the gooseman

John the gooseman New Member

I think it is because the birds are staying north the birds move because of snow cover and temperatures the mild winters lately are keeping them north Delaware, Pennsylvania and even New York are benefiting from it , no birds and the hunters give up the sport especially goose hunting to expensive

9. LeadSled1

Trevor, he was using the same thought. I haven't had a chance to catch up with him to find out what happened in court. He was the only one so far that I know had his day.

10. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

License is state. Federal duck stamp required for all waterfowl hunters over 16 yo.