Decoy Carts

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by tornadochaser, Aug 14, 2017.

1. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I know there used to be some good threads going regarding various decoy carts you guys have built; unfortunately many of the pictures are no longer accessible due to photobucket changing their hosting rules.
    Looking for ideas to incorporate a light weight decoy cart with my medium otter sled, maybe like the old bucks and ducks cart from california.
    Something that has wheels that will handle mud and not cake up and stop turning. Was thinking about short wide tires like found on beach carts, rather than bicycle style tires commonly found on deer carts. Anybody ever try something like that? at the very least, how about a new thread for pictures again!

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Short/wide tires will pick up more mud than tall/skinny tires.
    I could take some pix of my custom-made cart, but without PhotoBucket, how do I post them??? :scratch

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Easy. Tap "upload a file" in your reply. Takes you to your picture albums. Choose the pic you want and it will upload automatically. Then it asks you if you want to display a thumbnails or a full picture. Choose which one ...

Tuleman likes this.
  4. Pot Hole

Pot Hole Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

We bought two of these Garden Wagons to put in our decoy trailer we keep in ND. Last year was the first time using them and they worked pretty well for what we needed them to do. They have high ground clearance (get the ones with 15 inch tires), and we sanded and painted them a dead grass color to match the wheat fields we were hunting. You can switch the handles around and tow them behind an ATV if you prefer. Given their load capacity, you will never overload them and you can remove the sides if your load is too wide to fit in the basket. They were perfect to stack layout blinds and bags of silos which we strapped down with bungee cords. If it's muddy, the fat tires will pick up some mud, but most tires will when its really wet in the fields. I've tried the deer/game carts before, but I will never go back to those again after using these. If you watch Northern Tool's sale papers or their web site, they put these carts on sale from time-to-time. We bought the 1400 lb. models and I think we paid $119 a piece for them.

5. qwk-qwk-b00m

qwk-qwk-b00m Elite Refuge Member

Find a used double jogging stroller and remove the seat. Google image search jogging stroller hunting cart.....thank me later. :)

longduck likes this.
  6. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I bought a collapsible big game cart from Cabela's and then modify it to your needs.

Ringbill

longduck and Billy Bob like this.
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Built this out of two, $10 kid's bicycles (front forks/wheels) and some thin-wall steel tubing. The decoy sled drops into the frame. The handles slide out and lock for pushing, then push in and lock for storage and carrying to the refuge in the truck.
    I don't try to use it in deep mud, and so far am very happy with it.

THANK YOU, JFG!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    longduck likes this.
  8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

"Was thinking about short wide tires like found on beach carts, rather than bicycle style tires commonly found on deer carts."

Change the direction of your thinking.:yes
    The best wheels in the mud are Wheelchair wheels, they are designed to carry a load and the skinny tires don't hold mud like wider tires do.:tu

freefall and longduck like this.
  9. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

My initial concern with the tall skinny tires is that they will cut down into soft terrain/mud and make pushing or pulling the cart a pain in the butt.

freefall likes this.
  10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Less surface area = less friction/resistance. And, as mentioned, if mud is the concern, larger tires carry more mud.

freefall likes this.