Decoy carving books?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Hoyt0823, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Hoyt0823

Hoyt0823 New Member

Wanting to carve some of my own working decoys and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on books or material to get me started in the right direction thanks!!

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Grayson Chesser, Carving decoys the century old way.

3. Hoyt0823

Hoyt0823 New Member

I actually just ordered that exact one on amazon yesterday it got good reviews

4. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

That's probably the best hunting decoy book out there.

5. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

It taught me alot about carving and even more about painting. Grayson makes beautiful gunning birds. I have a couple and keep my eyes out for the right ones to add to my collection.

6. Hoyt0823

Hoyt0823 New Member

I'm ready to give it a go something to keep me busy till next season right..dont think the girlfriend is as excited as me about giving it a try she says I'm to busy now with hunting and the outdoors I'm beginning to wonder if she's the right one for me...joke!!

7. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

If you are really want to try it, i got some patterns i can copy and mail to you if you want. They aren't fancy, but they make good hunting decoys. I have canvasbacks, redhead, scaup, and ringneck duck, mallard, greenwing teal, cinnamon teal, pintail, and wigeon. I can get more patterns too.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I have over 20 books on decoy carving. Some of them are junk, some of them are excellent, most of them are good. Chesser's book is a good one for hunting decoys (service birds). There are three authors I can recommend if you are looking for modern carving methods:
    1. Roger Schroeder
    2. Bruce Burke
    3. Richard LeMaster

You'll also want to get some good patterns, and the best patterns ever produced are by Pat Godin. He makes them available in full-sized book form. The "books" aren't cheap but they are the best. If you want to buy any of these books from me, just PM.

9. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I suggest yo try and make your own patterns, I don’t know how many patterns have ended up in the fireplace but a bunch. Once you get a pattern that you like and you start sawing. Making your own patterns and carving and painting you designed bird is very rewarding especially when the ducks stool to them.

10. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Hoyt...Bruce Burk's Game Bird Carving and his series on painting (painting books were spiral bound to lay out flat) with puddlers, divers, etc., Chesser's book, Dick LeMaster's books are good. Chesser is the only one in that bunch that paints in oils. It's expensive, but Keith Mueller's most recent book is good for oil painting techniques, design, etc.

The Godin pattern books are good resources, but for gunning decoys, life size/real dimensions may not get you what you want...that is, they may be too narrow to be good gunners where you hunt, etc. and may need to be modified.

I'll also vote for making your own patterns, since I think there are enough people who carve Godin patterns, Willy patterns, etc. out there. But, if you aren't inclined in that direction, it can be difficult to be able to draw what you what and get the perfect picture in your head onto paper.

One thing that will help you considerably is to find someone in your area that carves. You can learn more from a weekend spent with a good teacher than you can learn from the books in several months. We all have mentors/teachers that we take influence and guidance from.

What are you wanting to carve?

WHUP ! Hen likes this.