Decoy carving books?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Hoyt0823, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Hoyt0823

Hoyt0823 New Member

Mallard is king where I'm from so mallard and maybe a few pintail's down the road if I can get to that point in the future if that's what your asking...

2. Hoyt0823

Hoyt0823 New Member

In your o
    In your opinion tule if you had to pick out one of of those 20 books which would you say is a must buy?

3. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Hoyt,

Have you been to Willy McDonald's site? The Duck Blind? There are beginner's kits, online tutorials, etc. Lots of good resources. Also, there are other websites for carving, like workingdecoy.net.

If you are anywhere close to central Arkansas, I'd be willing to spend some time helping you...

4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Keith’s book is great, advanced but very good. Also expensive. Grayson’s book is good, very informative but I don’t like his patterns, but you might.

5. Hoyt0823

Hoyt0823 New Member

I have been checking the duck blind out but can't find workingdecoy.net. The beginner kits on the blind is probably where I will start after reading through some books..

6. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Sorry...that forum is no longer around...just found out. Where are you located? I know several carvers and several are on here from around the country...we can probably find someone who can help you with shop time, tools, etc.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If I had to recommend a book to someone who has never carved a decoy before, and who was teaching himself to carve with only that one book, it would probably the Paul W. Casson's DECOYS SIMPLIFIED. A close runner-up would be Richard LeMaster's DECOYS The Art of the Wooden Bird, which is a good tutorial on carving in and of itself, and goes further into the painting than Casson's book.

Let me touch on the question of patterns; for the novice carver, you'll be years ahead of the game by using a proven pattern like Bob Berry's or Pat Godin's. If you start out by trying to make your own patterns, your finished decoy will not look as much like a duck as it should/could. As you become more experienced in carving, and in knowing what a real duck looks like, you can start modifying the commercial patterns to achieve the positions/attitude/ride qualities you are trying to acheive.
    I see far too many decoys that were made from patterns drawn by someone who obviously is not familiar with live ducks.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    WHUP ! Hen likes this.