Decoy raft effectiveness

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by CA Hunter, Jan 13, 2018.

1. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Did not want to hijack another thread, but wanted to ask your professional opinion.
    When this "device" is a real asset in terms of easiness of deployment and picking up i have a feeling that birds avoid it.
    I'm not 100% sure, it is just a feeling.
    In my area this year duck hunting is terrible, birds are not flying, do not respond on calling and shy away from everything, hence i cannot confirm.

My question comes from my last outing with a friend of mine who first time saw this raft and made a comment :"your decoys are too close together. usually when ducks are scared of something, they form tighter group. Your raft signals to flying birds that the situation is not safe here".

What thinks you, refugee gung?

2. DMallard

DMallard Senior Refuge Member

Have you seen puddle ducks (or geese, for that matter) when it gets really cold?

How about divers (or puddlers, for that matter) when they are feeding?

Birds close together can be very natural.

3. CA Hunter

I just say what he told me and also they do not land on, just fly by

4. CA Hunter

263 viwes and no contribution! Wow, just wow!!!

5. grande long

grande long Refuge Member

looks like divers to me and they came right to it.easy to set n pick up need a couple more.

6. grande long

big raft

Attached Files:

7. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Its a tool, may not be right for every situation. They do look good and they do work. They take up space and can be a pain.

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If you have a big boat with lots of room, they could same time putting out and picking up. That's the only scenario I could see for one.
    As far as being realistic; I will occasionally see a small cluster of ducks on the water. Might be "normal", but I wouldn't say it's common.

9. NR

NR Elite Refuge Member

Get on the youtube and look at drone footage of live ducks. They sit close together, especially when there's a lot of them.

Counter that with "ducks have lousy depth perception due to their eyes being on the sides of their heads" and you have to reach some balance of how to lay out a decoy spread.

There's no doubt that dekes close together are more visible at a distance than ones spaced out, but I think a small number of dekes bunched tight probably sends the wrong message to the ducks. I think you'd need at least a hundred dekes total to make these raft spreads look good, but that's just my opinion.

10. grande long

were gathering the data daily as to if they work or not lots of birds are landing close to them some are landing to other spots around the rig some not interested at all.do the fishing lures look good to the fish or the fisherman?