Decoy Repair

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Winchester-12, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

You can fill them with 2 part urethane as long as you leave a hole for the foam to expand. Once it does shave off the excess.

2. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I use JB quick weld on a lot of stuff,but it will come off plastic if applied to thin.

3. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I drug another duck decoy into the garage yesterday as it had cracked at the keel and was taking on water. Drilled a hole in the tail and a breather hole in the breast below the head and let her drain. I will get some pics of those repairs as well as the one that had the keel completely ripped off when I start in on them.

Billy Bob likes this.
  4. Quackshooter

Quackshooter Refuge Member

Why don't you burlap wrap them with waterproof mastic and be done with it. Then repaint and they look like new.

5. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Refuge Member

Folks, I have repaired dozens of plastic blocks with excellent results with material that bonds plastic excellent and lasts for years, also capable of repairing shell decoys. The product I have been using is called Amazing GOOP, Waterproof, Paintable, Permanent bond, Extreme flex. Manufactured in the USA, by Eclectic products, Prineville, LA. This stuff is as good as it gets for repairing plastic decoys.

6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I did an experiment last weekend, I took and cut small strips from caps from clear matte and use propane torch and melted plastic to fill in drain holes, pellet holes and cracks on keels on a few decoys over the weekend, just took time melting. Threw them in kiddie pool for dog for 3 days and no leaks. So they will get the leave out all season now test.

7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I should have said this before but I guess it really depends on the quality of decoy you are repairing.Like someone said earlier ,buy new ones,there are some great products and good deals out there.