Decoy size vs quanity?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by duckduckboom, Jan 12, 2017.

1. duckduckboom

duckduckboom Senior Refuge Member

So I usually run between 6 and 12 dozen decoys when hunting. 2 years ago I started adding magnum decoys for fillers on single drops with good success. I have added more this year and am pleased. I run longlines in slotted bags and have 2 or 3 life size decoys per slot. Obviously with the mags I cannot fit multiple decoys in my current bags. So my question is what do you like? More decoys or fewer decoys that are bigger? Keep in mind I'm in a 17' boat so I am almost maxed out with the amount of bags I take.

I feel almost naked if I don't have at least 8 dozen out. Thanks for any advice.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Open water (ponds, lakes) I like numbers. (and motion on the water)

Small water, small river, lots of cover in the water, etc, I like mags.

I used to hunt option A. I had LOTS of decoys (for a walk in hunter) teal, Hot Buys, etc. Now I hunt a small river, hunt in cuts, etc. Last hunt, I went with 6 goose shells on the ice, and 4 FB GHG's in the shallow current. Really looked good.
    (Of course, there were not birds, NONE, but I had confidence in the set)

3. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

Still new to hunting divers, but learning all the time! I use 2 diver lines with 12 on a 150ft line. Then we used 15 to 20 singles. Cans-buffs-scaulp-goldeneyes. Our hunting group has switched to the very large battleships and foam filled!! Tennessee does get its share of divers. We also use to scaulp floating mojo's- they really like that. Mallards did not come to play much, but the DIVERS DID! fireduck

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I like about a 70/30-60/40 split between standards and over size, best of both worlds.

5. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I've always hunted out of a small boat (1436) so have learned to make trade-offs. At this point, I'd rather have 24 magnum decoys than 48 standards.

6. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

Passed a guides boat with what I thought were goose decoys. He was using huge oversized decoys. Boy did they show up! He was in a scissor rig and it looked great.

7. duckduckboom

duckduckboom Senior Refuge Member

Billy Bob that's kind of what I have been leaning towards. Is there a setup that you find more effective running this setup?

Rubberhead are you taking applications for an apprenticeship? I would pay for your breakfast/lunch to sit down and talk ducks.

8. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

For divers, it isn't the size (foot print) of the decoy, it is the height above the water.

9. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

I like 50 / 50 all my cans and black heads longlines are oversize then ill mix in lifesize

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I try to keep the over size decoys on the upwind side of the spread. 2 reasons, since I always set up for a crosswind I feel that helps pull the birds across in front of you rather than short stopping if the lifesize decoys aren't as visible due to weather. The other reason is if you have oversize decoys in your kill hole it can play tricks on your eyes and make judging range harder. Example, you're staring at oversize decoys all day and birds fly by but seem tiny compared to the decoys, it can make you think the range is greater than it is. With lifesize decoys in the hole if a bird appears close to that size its in range.