Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Decoy spread hunting out of boat blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Action, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

Looking for pointers hunting big water out of a boat blind. I have plenty duck decoys and 3 dozen goose. I was thinking of running decoys all around the boat with the majority out front with the motion decoys. This way it appears the birds are comfortable and loafing around the "island". Any advise on what your experiences at would be appreciated. I have hunted shorelines before however I want to see how it does in the open.

2. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

For me, set up depends on types of birds your hunting and weather.

For the most part my set up is no different than what it would be if I were hunting a flooded pit.

3. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

I'm chasing mallards on the Columbia River.

4. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Unless the mallards are very under pressured, I can't see that making the boat look like an island surrounded by decoys is going to work. I can't recall an open water effort I have ever tried that had puddle ducks not flaring from the boat. Now if there is food they are coming to and your are in the middle of it, different story.

5. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

We tried this in a Corp of engineer lake. Went into an area with a decent amount of standing dead timber and water was around 3’. Tried bank hunting but birds wouldnt come close and landed long. Second day we set up about 40yds from bank and tied up to a large tree. Pulled a bunch of logs and larger branches off the bank and floated em out to the boat and set on the ends and top of the blind. Kinda looked like a small log jam and worked well on mallards, gadwall, and pintails.

freefall and Pursuit Joe like this.
  6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

It will work just as large floating blinds have worked for eons. I would figure out which side of the boat is best to shoot from and only put decoys on that side. Then set up with regards to that side and however the wind and sun effect the spot. In a river you probably have to consider the current as well.

JP likes this.
  7. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

In my opinion the best way to use a boat blind is to set up with something as a back drop. Breakwall, river bank, downed tree or anything else to blend into. To set up in open water is asking for disappointment. The better you can hide the boat the
    better luck you will have. I use boat blinds a lot on large lakes & big rivers & they work well if you can hide them.

freefall and Tuleman like this.
  8. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

I agree with this, however sometimes it is better to be where they want to be, rather than hidden better. It's a trade off.

We open water set for divers a lot on the great lakes and have good success. We shoot mallards regularly, but not big numbers, from the open water set (we also never have mallard decoys out.) We always set up with all of the decoys on one side of the boat and a crossing wind. The birds approaching the decoys are not looking right at the boat when they land and I believe that helps. Top cover on the blind will help with circling puddle ducks.

Fowler267 likes this.
  9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Decoys on one side of the boat, hunt a cross wind (not wind at your back), prepare for longer shots.

Fowler267 likes this.
  10. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Unless the mallards are very under pressured, I can't see that making the boat look like an island surrounded by decoys is going to work. I can't recall an open water effort I have ever tried that had puddle ducks not flaring from the boat. Now if there is food they are coming to and your are in the middle of it, different story.