Decoy spread hunting out of boat blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Action, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

im thinking it totally depends on what your boat blind looks like.....and if you fidget like crazy all the time and if you have open areas on the blind that don't look natural.... your best bet is to hunt the stronger wind days and set one side only..... and hope they come in from down wind without a lot of circling......depends on your calling or lack there of..... depends on your set.... I have hammered mallards on a huge canvasback set!........ I saw a bunch of mallards ( 20 or so) in with about 1000 drake mergs on Christmas eve... the place was not a mallard place....no vegetation to speak of.....but the mergs were feasting on alewives... and the mallards like the crowd!

2. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

I mainly hunt open water as in the middle of the lake I seem to do pretty well usually put out about 150 dekes and I have a home made blind out of conduit I use a tarp wind block behind some of the Camo netting and a few sticks of cane laid over the top

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Pin oak hold their leaves well and work great as the overlay cover for a blind 100+ yards set offshore.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Don't forget to brush the top of your blind, not just the sides. What might look great from the front, may not look great from above, if the birds circle. Lots of folks down here (and everywhere) hunt from boats in open water. As has been stated, finding a spot with some logs or something to blend with can only help.

5. Scout

Scout Senior Refuge Member

We hunt them every year on the Mississippi River by looking like an island. It will work. Stay still.