Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Decoy theives

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by zeus, Dec 13, 2016.

1. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

It's that time of year again and they are back at it! They are currently targeting vehicles parked at designated spots for public hunting and taking water decoys. Within the past week one vehicle had Texas rigged duck decoys taken and just today another vehicle had some speck floaters taken. They are not just driving by but rather checking everything out as the last vehicle has enough lift that one cannot see inside the bed without climbing up on the bumper. Beware gentlemen and keep your eyes peeled for any suspious activity!

2. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

3. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

Just after Thanksgiving I had my battery stolen out of my boat at the Sanganois WMA while we were hunting. The motor was all the way up when we arrived that morning and while the bilge pump worked, the motor would not move so we took another boat. When we came back it was gone.

4. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

It sickens me that the respect waterfowlers use to have for others and their equipment is going to the wayside! The only thing I can think of is either it's a bunch of "duck dynasty" hunters or its non hunters stealing something to trade for crack. Thinking a sting operation is going to be done and it won't be pretty in the end!

5. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

I used to carry the dog kennel in the bed of the truck 60 or more days per year. It was just easier to leave it in there than take it in the house each day.
    The first time I hunted Rend Lake, the guy who invited me said to put the kennel in the cab.
    I said something like " I cant believe another duck hunter would take it". He said it wasnt another hunter that he worried about but some local thug/meth head.
    To take something out of a duck hunters boat or truck, knowing that said hunter is likely armed (sarcasm), takes a lot of balls or deep dependence on drugs.

The other day at an undisclosed location, I was loading up at the ramp and noticed a pickup, crew cab, with the rear passenger side door open (door faced some timber, away from the road/boat ramp. Truck didnt have a boat trailer with it ).
    I didnt think anything of it as I figured someone got dropped off and he was changing out of his waders, clothes, whatever.

After a few minutes, I still didnt see anyone around but the door was still open.

I drove over to the truck, expecting to see someone, but no one was around. Apparently whomever it was left his door open and in a hurry to meet his comrades at the ramp/boat at o-dark-thirty, left the door open and the truck unlocked.
    Inside was a near full case of Hevi-Metal shells and other goodies prime for the taking.

I closed the guys door and left but man, what a field day I couldve had.

auto5 and riverrat47 like this.
  6. keith_scumline

keith_scumline Elite Refuge Member

Jim. You might have aborted a sting operation. Just saying. Be safe.

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  7. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

Wish there were more like you and I out there!

riverrat47 and Il. MudDuk like this.
  8. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Several years ago I was working my dog at a state boat ramp. I noticed a truck, with boat trailer...with the windows down. As it was fall and bit cold and overcast, I walked over, thinking if by chance they were old crank windows, I'd put them up for the guy. There was a very expensive camera-DSLR with a telephoto lens- sitting on the seat! The windows were electric, so I couldn't roll them up, so I took the camera and left the guy a note with my cell #. Also recorded his license plate #, in case the note disappeared.
    About 5 hrs. later, having not heard anything, I went back to the ramp. He and his hunting buddy had just pulled in. He had just gotten to the truck, looking panicked. As I was telling him the story, he reached under the seat...looking for his handgun...which was there. He appeared relieved the pistol was there, took the camera from me...hopped in the truck and backed the trailer down the ramp. Not so much as a 'Thank you.'

papacharlie and Il. MudDuk like this.
  9. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

You should have left one of those disposable / throw-away cameras on his front seat, Ed.

I know guys dont (and shouldn't) necessarily do something nice to be rewarded, recognized, nor even thanked, but you know, sometimes a simple "Thanks" IS nice to hear/appreciated.

Some Hispanic guy was caught at a boat ramp a few years ago stealing a battery from a duck hunters truck (used a screwdriver to pry the hood open, as I recall). I think he got roughed up a bit.

10. keith_scumline

keith_scumline Elite Refuge Member

Lucky he didn't get hooked up to the battery. Opps to much TV