Decoy Forum Sponsors

Decoy weight molds?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by bufflehead1, Jan 30, 2017.

1. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

Is there anyone on here that does aluminum CNC machining?

I remember there use to be a guy that sold molds on here that he had made but can't remember who it was. I'm looking for someone to make a mold and figured a duck hunter that did CNC work would be a good place to start.

2. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

Take a 2x4 or 2x6 and router out H weights. Pour cooking oil in the holes and let it saturate the wood. Pour lead and add oil as needed to keep the wood from burning.

3. bufflehead1

Not looking for H weights, they don't hold in the area I hunt. I want a mold to pour heavy mushrooms and no one sells what I'm looking for. I have molds for 5, 8 and 12 ounce but want something heavier.

4. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

@ducknwork

He made me an excellent looking J type mold. Haven't scavenged enough lead yet to use it but it is a good looking mold and was a good price.

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Muffin tin? I used a metal measuring cup for 1 lb weights. Use solid copper wire for making eyelets for tie offs.

6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Ducknwork does a good job!

7. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

I understand everyone has a preference tontheircweights. After many years of trial and tribulation I have found H weights are the most versatile in sand and rocks. What I like best about them is that they are adjustable to many depths. If you add enough weight to something they are not going to move. I run 12oz weights and my duck and goose decoys hunting the Colimbia, Snake and Yakima Rivers.

8. bufflehead1

Thanks for the replies guys. I think that is who I was talking about. I sent him a message.

9. bufflehead1

I posted a thread on here or another site a while back with pictures of a "mold" I made using metal sauce cups and nails. It will make a weight about 20 ounces, that has a hole big enough to run the line through. They look like the muffin pan weights.

They hold fine in most places but I hunt close to the inlet here and there is a ton of tide. If it blows 30 and the tide is running same direction as the wind, they drag bad. There's no rocks, just sandy bottom and the mushroom weights will dig in. The 12 ounce mushrooms actually hold better than the 20 ounce muffin weights.

10. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member