Decoys on layout boat

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Clayton, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Doesanyone attach decoys to their layout boat? If so how do you attach them? Do you really feel like it makes any difference? Even wondering about it using decoys on it for targeting geese.

2. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I'm not "truly" open water layout hunting, here in Minnie.
    But I do go & 'layout' in my grassed up marsh boat, out in the rice on various lakes & bays. If I'm hunting more for mallards & dabblers, than Ringers, I have used full bodied decoys on the decked ends of the boat.
    When I was younger, & didn't have nice full bodies-----I somehow put up OUTLAW silhouette mallards around the boat. Better looking decoys now.

Ringbill

3. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I don't know where they are posted but I have seen some photos from Don Mintz of his hand carved decoys on layout boats. Seem like it would work awesome. I believe he used velcro.

4. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

I have bluebills and geese I put on my MLB layout depending on what I hunt. In calmer water and hi pressure areas it is amazing how well it works. In rougher water it doesn't mater much. I use Velcro on mine. I cut the bottom of the bills out so they sit flatter to the water then ran a small piece of Azak (plastic trim board for houses) across the decoy to glue the Velcro to. For the geese I just used shell decoys. I stuck a couple pieces of pool noodle inside so they float if I drop them or knock the off.
    [​IMG]
    I moved the hen down after I knocked it off a couple times.

[​IMG]

Ringbill likes this.
  5. Clayton

I assume it takes an industrial strength velcro to hold.

6. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

I use 2" regular velcro and made it as long as I could, I even rounded the Azak a little to match the layout for more contact. They have held in 3 footers and ice no problem.

7. Clayton

Thank you for the info. Going to give a try.

8. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

the lake bonneyville boats had magnets in them. I installed a steel band in the bottom of my custom decoys. I have done a few with velcro too, but never heard from the customer whether it was a good way to go or not. It's pretty simple to make foamers to fit a layout boat. I put sandpaper on our lake bonneyville boat and sanded the decoy to fit at the proper angle in the various positions around the boat.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ringbill likes this.
  9. Clayton

Those are great looking decoys as usual Don. I sure wish you were still in business. I did not get to hunt at all this past season due to my heart. Had quadrupple bypass Feb. 21 so should be good to go by the fall. All I can do right now is dream up plans for this season.

Ringbill likes this.
  10. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

Why not, the market gunners used cast iron "wing" decoys to weigh down the wings on the coffin boxes. Some people use confidence decoys on their boats.