Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Decoys to avoid?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by waterswatter, Mar 26, 2019.

1. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I've decided to add numbers to our decoy spread and wondered if there are certain brands or items to avoid at all costs? I do know from experience that some windsocks tend to thrash about in winds above 15-20 mph. And some of the cheaper socks look like white triangles out in the field. And that the black on some windsocks looks too black and too bold (at least from my point of view).

So, are there some decoys out there that, per common consensus, are to be avoided? I'll be looking at craigslist and garage sales for items.

Thanks

KID CREOLE likes this.
  2. hyper23

hyper23 Senior Refuge Member

I would not buy DOA windsocks

GK1 likes this.
  3. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Deadlies or skyflies for socks and avians for full bodies.

4. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

You're not recommending the above? Curious what's your issues with skyfly?

I think every decoy has pros/cons with none being ideal in all cases. However, I use all skyflys and a prior thread had a lot of recommendations on them.

The cons I've had are a few have pulled apart during retrieval b/c the push nut came off the stake. This was primarily due to friction in frozen ground, and I now grasp the stake with my fingers to try to take some force off the push nut when pulling them out. Also, they have a 1/4" fiberglass stake which is more difficult to press into frozen and hard ground than spring steel of smaller diameter. This is not unique to skyfly of course, and I think a key decision in purchasing socks is fiberglass or spring steel stakes and that narrows down your brand selection. On the contrary, fiberglass holds the decoy in place very well through wind and doesn't have any death thrash in high winds.

But still none are ideal for all cases. I've considered a mixed spread for the best of a few worlds. Right now I think I'd only purchase skyfly or Divebomb, and maybe White Rock.

5. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Sorry, should of said "Stick with these and you will be fine"

mr89ia likes this.
  6. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Deadlies or whiterock. Pros and cons for both but overall very durable and perform in high winds

7. wyfarrell

wyfarrell Senior Refuge Member

8. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

If you have to carry your decoys in, do not buy Deadlies. They are way too heavy to carry any distance. Great decoy otherwise.

9. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Guess I read it wrong. To avoid, tanglefree. To purchase, deadly or whiterock

10. Donald

Donald New Member

white rocks are on sale at rogers sporting goods now 10 dozen, 6 dozen snows, 2 dozen blues and 2 dozen juvies for $380