Decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Armend Tagani, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Armend Tagani

Armend Tagani New Member

Ive been looking into getting some more decoys for this season and im interested to hear what you guys would do. Would you rather Buy another dozen duck decoys or 4 canada decoys? They're around the same price. Im thinking the goose decoys because they're more visible at a loong distance and its easier to carry 4 of those instead of a dozen more duck decoys. Thats just my very inexpereinced opinion though, and id love to hear what you guys have to say about it.

Also not sure if this is the right spot for this, so if its not Ill move it.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

How many duck decoys are you using? Are there geese in the area? 4-8 Canadas with 2 dozen ducks seem to work well for us at times for ducks and sometimes get us a passing shot at geese.

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  3. Armend Tagani

Armend Tagani New Member

I only have a dozen mallard decoys. The area's I hunt are loaded with geese. Im brand new to duck hunting so I don't have much. Only went a few times last year in december and January.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

That's a tough call to make. Lots of options and variables. If I got more duck decoys I would get a 6 pack each of 2 of the other species in your area or look at oversize mallards and pintails for better visibility. It may be worth waiting until you go on a few hunts this fall and see what you think you need and then order it when you've had a chance to observe the birds. If you placed an order after a weekend of hunting you would get them before the next weekend.

5. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Goose decoys! If you have geese in numbers I would get goose decoys the more the better. Ducks work goose decoys fine and they stand out at a distance much better than duck decoys.

QuaaackerJack and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  6. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Refuge Member

If I had only a dozen mallard decoys and no Canadas, I'd get the Canadas. Check out craigslist and see if you can stretch that dollar.

7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

In my area I have noticed that a few Canada decoys don't help much,but 2 or 3 dozen is a magnet.Not saying this is true everywhere but it's what I have seen for 53 years.

8. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I like to have a few goose decoys in my spread when hunting mallards. I say go for some goose decoys.

9. dukgtr187

dukgtr187 Senior Refuge Member

At this point I never thought id have more goose floaters than duck floaters. Last season I used 8 Honker floaters and 3 dozen honker silos and mixed in about a dozen mallard floaters and a dozen widgeon. We had good shoots over them, I almost think the more goose floaters it makes the ducks relax. I will see this season as I just picked up 20 bigfoot floaters for $100

QuaaackerJack and IceRat like this.
  10. Armend Tagani

Armend Tagani New Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think Im going to just get the honkers and a half dozen Black ducks as all the areas I hunt have a lot of both species as well

Where did you get that deal?