Decoy Forum Sponsors

Decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Armend Tagani, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I believe they were in an ad in the Washington classifieds. I almost bought them but I may have a few hundred too many decoys already and no space left. :z

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If you think four goose floaters are easier to carry than a dozen duck floaters, then you haven't carried four goose floaters.
    You use duck decoys if you're trying to decoy ducks. Goose decoys if you are trying to decoy geese. Mixed spreads are okay if both birds are working your area, but don't expect ducks to decoy to goose decoys any more readily than to duck decoys.

Billy Bob likes this.
  3. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Totally disagree. I use an all goose floater spread all the time in areas where goose activity is high but we are targeting ducks. I found an all goose spread has more pulling power than duck spread, especially when everyone is running a duck spread.

4. dukgtr187

dukgtr187 Senior Refuge Member

In the Washington forum as Billy Bob said. My flocking just arrived to redo the heads this weekend

Armend Tagani likes this.
  5. LA in ATL

LA in ATL New Member

Armand, my 2 cents is to get the geese decoys, but don’t just mix them with your duck decoys. I like to have at least 3 geese at least 20+ yards upwind from my blind in a separate family group. Increases both visibility of your spread and duck confidence.

QuaaackerJack and Ringbill like this.
  6. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

we have a spread of herters suc geese with duck heads [very undersized heads] that my son painted to mallards work great in the walkins. also have a dozen and a half of the flambeau super size [ bigger than our geese] when we boat in aand 48 inch shells for geese which I have seen work super next to a huge spead of fullbodies. at 75 I'm sold that size does matter. several several lifetimes ago my son and I hunted with a guy who had 2 dozen feather flex geese with the little duck heads painted all blck and whit e where it should be and we killed out way before anyone else. [ I credit it to my great calling 30 yrs latter I figured it out] if I could find them now that's all I would use in the walkins.

Rebranger likes this.
  7. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Welcome to the Refuge. You will gain a lot of information here if you ask the questions and it will definitely help
    to shorten your learning curve. With a lot of Geese in your area, go for the honker decoys, but as mentioned, put them in a family group a ways distant from your other duck decoys. You must be in the eastern 1/3 of the country if yur
    thinking of adding some Black duck decoys?
    Best of luck !

Ringbill