Deep frying fish..crappie, bluegill, cats..What's your secrets?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Coho, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Just a filet knife.. Skin isn't that tough .. rubbery. Just a small catfish.

I made some deep fried pacific cod filets last night. Just made sure the flesh was dry. Then a dip in whole milk and in Zatarin's Fish Fry. I am impressed with Zatarain's breading products. Both Chick Fry and Fish Fry.

2. whitecotton

whitecotton Elite Refuge Member

dang, eatin polywoggs.. never in a millon years!!! :no:no

3. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

I like to soak mine in Picante sauce overnight to season them up before I run the fillet thru the powdered saltines.

4. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

As for deep frying fish my favorite for walleyes, bluegills and crappies is to roll dry fillets in flour, then an egg/milk wash and coat in instant mashed potato flakes. Potato Buds are better for a larger fillet and Hungry Jack are better for smaller fillets. Deep fry in peanut oil. Works great for chicken or wild turkey breast strips as well.

I haven't had or caught bullheads in years but when I was a kid we smoked them and they were delicious. Never had them cooked any other way.

BTW- Polliwogs are tadpoles here. And mudcats are flatheads.

5. Spoonbilla

Spoonbilla Banned

Little cornmeal a little flour seasoned real good a little mustard on the fish and a mess of these filleted
    [​IMG]
    Got yourself an old deep south fish fry.

6. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

Very clean filets cut into chunks if larger (catfish, big crappie, lmb). Peanut oil, 375, i prefer a dry cornmeal batter not a wet beer batter, use a tupperware container with lid to coat pieces RIGHT BEFORE putting in the oil. After removing a batch from the oil allow the heat to come back up before dropping the next handful. Allow to drain on paper towels. Tent the finished pieces with some foil while cooking the rest.

Lately I like the Zatarain's fish fri. I add some of my own ground hot pepper powder and a touch more black pepper into the mix before coating the fish with it.

7. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

Potato Buds? Really? I may have to try that:scratch

8. TEAMGTG

TEAMGTG Senior Refuge Member

2nd on the tater flakes, makes for some damned good fish. As far as bullheads go, thats some of the best eating there is if they come from semi clear water.

9. Spoonbilla

Spoonbilla Banned

We call flatheads opeleusas catfish. And mud cats = trashfish. We also call em Polly wogs. And a live mud cat makes for great flathead bait.

10. LA yard dog

LA yard dog Elite Refuge Member

It's awesome flathead bait. They'll stay alive forever on a trotline hook. I put out yo-yo's baited up with chicken skin to catch mudcats for my Op lines.