Deep frying fish..crappie, bluegill, cats..What's your secrets?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Coho, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Jimbob

Jimbob Elite Refuge Member

Illegal to bait trotlines, bush hooks and jug hooks wih live bait here.

Fish frying secret: Atkinson's seafood breader, and never, never use canola oil.

2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Wow, I knew yankees eat alot of things that ain't fit for a southern palate.. but polywogs?!? DAYUM :eek:

3. Williefb

Williefb Elite Refuge Member

For frying fish I like to cut the fillets in small pieces about the size of a chicken nugget from McDonalds and dip in a mixture of milk and egg and then roll it in Andy's cajun seasoning making sure to cover the fillet well. I then let em sit for around 10 - 20 min to let the Andy's soak up a little of the moisture from the fish. Deep fry at 375 degrees until crispy and brown. The cajun flavor is pretty hot but that's the way we like em. Andy's is the best!:tu

4. nohens

nohens Senior Refuge Member

But first.....cheap regular old mustard cut with the beer your drinking....then the zatarains....then in the oil.:tu

5. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

I tried something different yesterday and it ended up being phenomenal!

I took dry fillets and dipped in a mixture of approx. 1 can beer, 1 cup of flour, some tempura, and season to taste(I used paprika, tonys and cayenne) I shook off excess batter and dipped in panko.:tu One of my favorites:clap

6. professor

professor Elite Refuge Member

Completely dry fillets. Dip in "whole" buttermilk (not skim). Shake in your favorite dry breader. Place bag with shook up fillets in the freezer for 5 minutes (this will keep more breader on the fillets when frying). Fry until golden and fillets "float".
    Professor

7. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

2-3 once chunks dipped in beat egg then in fine ground saltines then in the oil.:)

Lots of people eat bullheads up here, especially the tourists. Their good enough, but not when you have plenty of other fish.