Deer 2018

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by KEN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Anyone going out tomorrow? I am in Minn after 40 years of deer hunting ND. Only good thing here is that you can get a license every year. Have to get used to sitting up 17 ft. off the ground. I REALLY miss those wide open spaces. Haven't gotten one yet.......3 days to go. That's another thing.....season is twice as long out there.

2. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

20181112_085552.jpg

Gratis tag buck. Cold opener, lots of crop up yet. Hard to get use to stand hunting for me. Did it in Wisconsin but prefer the open plains.

Reelcranky likes this.
  3. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Nice Ron.....can't get used to stand hunting here either. Been 40 years since I have sat in a tree stand.

4. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Looks like a mowed yard under that dusting of snow. Gratis as in your "Fargo" backyard ? ;)

My mom has deer under her feeder and under her apple trees regularly. One evening I looked out and there was an eight pointer (OK in ND a 4 pointer) bedded down 15 feet from the sliding glass door. His harem of does and fawns feeding around him.

5. Ron Gilmore

That was taken by the shop. Colder than heck and we still had a doe tag to fill. So I loaded him, dropped him in the yard and quartered him later in the morning. So yes it was mowed where the picture was taken.

I shot him crossing harvested pea field headed for the neighbors tree belt. That pea field looked almost like the yard!

6. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Definitely cold out there so far. Side bonus we all know where Ron lives since you can read his address on his tag!:dv

7. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

The duration of this cold wave is impressive (if not sad). Unless you are an ice fisherman.

It will certainly put some stress on the critters than do not move south for the winter. Energy needed for temps 20+ below average has to be high. At least not much snow.

8. Ron Gilmore

Temps are cold but not deep cold. Key is food and for upland shelter. Sun helps a lot