Deer Hunting Guide Service in CA?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by LeakyW8ers, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

I'd like to see a pic of that 42" buck?

tule, Dan Mallia and nicapopolis like this.
  2. DuckSLu7

DuckSLu7 Senior Refuge Member

Spend the money, get local knowledge and shoot a bruiser

nicapopolis likes this.
  3. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I don't have have the picture anymore, but he was huge.

4. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

Wish you luck on the hunt. What a tag to have! Don't get hung up on score or width. Just pop a buck that looks good to you.

Buttesmacker and Dan Mallia like this.
  5. Gomer

Gomer Elite Refuge Member

With a tag like this, he can chase ghosts and rumors for the next 4 months or hire a guide and have a great hunt.

Buttesmacker and DuckSLu7 like this.
  6. Canyoncrosser

Canyoncrosser Refuge Member

IMG_0591.PNG If I were you, and I really wish I was, I'd put some feelers out in several of the units Nica mentioned. The Garden etc. A wide net needs to be cast to find a buck worthy of that opportunity.

This is a G37 buck from a few years back, but I have never heard of anyone guiding that unit. But if you haven't tagged out by then I'd guess there could be locals who would jump at the chance to be out on a hunt.

7. lamsen95240

lamsen95240 Senior Refuge Member

Devils Garden, Muzzle loader, wont need a guide

tule likes this.
  8. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

I know a lot of people who work for a living that slam giant animals with out a guide or scouting. I personally have been out of state where I don't get a chance to scout and just work my *** off when I get there, and ive seen some awesome animals. It sounds more like you are lazy and don't want to put the work in, just one of those guys that likes to pull the trigger and then brag how you hunted your butt off!! To each his own, but I have more pleasure in working for the animal and putting a story behind it than a price tag.

My dad guides deer hunts here in CA, and unless you have 7-10,000 dollars laying around (black tail, trophy ranch)..........have fun finding a guide that will do it for free or even under a grand, especially for that one in a lifetime animal!

This is a once in a life time tag, but so is drawing Good Dale, and there is a reason for that, bad genetics is not it, its people who just sit on the canyon floor and cant help but smoke the first 25" 3x3 buck they see, heck I seen this old timer smoke a 20" 4x3 within 5 minutes of opener and he was tickled to death, and that's what counts! I went on a really bad year and seen plenty of decent bucks (easily seen 60+ bucks a day), and my dad (who drew the tag) shot a pretty decent buck, not the smoker of good years, but for the drought conditions, pretty damn good and the biggest one that we seen during the two week season.

Sure, there are giant bucks in other areas of the state (and I wouldn't waste that tag on a blacktail), ive been to or have friends that have been to some really decent areas, and seen some great animals from down south to the NE tip.

If it was me, I would do Good Dale, as I stated before, just because I know that out of the tags available, 80% wont walk more than 20 yards from their trucks and there are areas that are not accessible by vehicle that hold animals. And if you are really pressed for time, wait until the second week and go, by then 50% or more people have tagged out which leaves you lots of room. Heck, at one point I seen half the tags in the zone on one over look!! Not to mention you can literally see almost the entire zone from either the north or south end, so scouting will take all of a couple days to pattern the animals at the most.

Anyhow, it is your tag and you have tons of choices to make, I wish you good luck and I really do hope you smack a big one!!

9. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

Become the mountain goat and you will find success!! You see that ridge way up there, go see what's on the other side, its either heaven or hell and you wont know until you get there!! Now that's hunting!;)

10. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

Oh heck no, not even an option for me with this tag!!