Deer planting?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Packman, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Packman

Packman Elite Refuge Member

I know this is not duck related but I just want to know. My family owns 40 acres of ground in Northern Wisconsin. Just had it selectively logged. The property has 13 acres of red pine, three acres of mixed white pine, aspen, balsam fir, tag alder, 5 acres of relatively mature aspen, and the rest is timothy and choke cherry mix. The property is a good place to stand hunt as it is surrounded by potato fields that are rotated between 'taters, clover and wheat. There are also several bedding areas around the property about 1/4 mile away. My question is what should we plant to hold the deer there other than dogwood and raspberries? Any grasses or clover plots? We want to make a holding area instead of a pass through site.

2. silvermallard

silvermallard Elite Refuge Member

I'd put in some good sorgum and clover plots...and blackberries if I really wanted to spike the punch! All that stuff grows well up there. I'd go about 2/3 - 1/3 in favor of sorgum, and get all the blackberries I could planted along remaining contour lines.

3. peewee

peewee Elite Refuge Member

Things may be different up north but in the south the deers average home range is around 3000 acres. Can be up to 6000 acres in the Delta regions. Three main things to consider: Food, Cover, and Water. What SM recommended will be good supplementary food sources. If you just cut your timber the undergrowth will provide cover and plenty of browse. As for water deer obtain a good bit of the water they use from the moisture in the browse they eat. Any streams or wetland areas are just a plus. Oh yeah, hunting pressure will mean a lot on that small of acreage. I would keep it reserve and mostly hunt across the grounds on foot only. ATV's on that small of an acreage I would think would have a neg. impact.

Hope you have a successful season.

4. David @ The Refuge

David @ The Refuge Founder Moderator

Packman:

One area we deer hunt is owned by a good friend of mine, he has 37 acres.

About 7 acres is a nice open field. In this field we did a soil test, added the required lime, and planted clover and peas. The deer loved the peas, and went after the clover once the peas were gone.

We would on ocassion mow the clover and it would come back even thicker.

My son and I have sat in a barn located on the southern end of the field and watched the deer feed in the late afternoon and evening.

David

5. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

great ideas so far. you might also try some brassicas (rape, kale) as a summer planted crop for a late fall food plot. a mix of clovers and alfalfa would be a good year round food source. iron and clay peas and soy beans can provide an early season food source, and winter wheat or rye or the hybrid of the two called tritical can provide quick cover and good graze spring or fall. the logging will provide a lot of food as the secondary growth kicks in. sounds like a good place.

6. Packman

Packman Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guys. You are right is is a good place to hunt we just want it better. Here is the results from opening weekend 2000. Wisconsin was in a serious herd reduction mode. Three does, a fawn, and a 8 point buck that had broke three tines.