delaware decoy carver

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by johnson, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

Got 5 super mag blacks and 1 super mag drake mallard here at the house . I stopped hunting over them a few years ago . Got lucky and found a guy selling all of them years ago for $100 .

2. Keith McGowan

Keith McGowan Elite Refuge Member

The RD1 was our mail delivery route. we lived out in the country and had mail delivered from the "larger" town in the area.... we were RD1 box 168 at our farm.... looooong before street addresses Harold would have been RD1 box?

hope that helps....

those are great birds of his, enjoy them. they look like later birds of his, those are herter heads he used on the later ones. He did a few with wood heads, but nothing near the number he did with herter heads.

3. Mike Enright

Mike Enright Elite Refuge Member

RD was a designation for "rural delivery", the 1 was the actual route number.
    Nice find on these decoys. Harold made some great gunning birds particularly his geese, as featured in Veasey's "The Making of Hunting Decoys". As a carver, I have a copy of the book in my reference library. Keith, it must have been a great experience visiting Harold's shop.:tu

Mike

4. rjbadfish

rjbadfish Moderator Moderator

Thanks Keith, Great info. I figured that you would have some insight into these. You say that these are some of his later birds. Would you have an approximate time frame when he was using the herters heads?

5. straitmeat72

straitmeat72 Elite Refuge Member

his son Tommy Haman still carves and sells birds I can get you his contact info if you are interested. I have a few of his fathers birds that he has given me and some of tommy's as well.

6. Mcb613

Mcb613 New Member

Hello, I just signed up in an effort to research a Haman goose. Did you ever find a value on your goose?
    I have a like new decoy.
    Thx,
    Mike