Delivering to hand

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by CenCalDucker, Jan 14, 2018.

1. CenCalDucker

CenCalDucker Elite Refuge Member

I have an 8 year old dog that admittedly has limited training due to my lack of commitment. I trained "hold" but not complete FF. When training with bumpers he will come to heel and hold until I give the release command. When hunting he drops the birds a few yards away. Any ideas on how to correct this? I'm not going to put him through FF, so if that is the answer I will just deal with this slight issue.

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Since you have already taught him to hold, buy a couple of ducks (from a game farm) and teach him to hold a duck. Wrap the
    duck(s) in newspaper, put that in double freezer bags and thaw them out before a session of hold. With some practice. this works.

My first Lab was a free older dog from a newspaper and I taught her hold (never did FF). She was good to go and retrieved
    ducks to hand because she knew what was expected. The fact that yours will "go and get them" indicates she likes them.
    Having her hold a duck may be fairly easy if you simply show her what you want. Be excited and up beat.....most dogs will
    try to please their owners.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  3. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Our season is still going on, so he can shoot and freeze real ducks. Cencal is he ecollar trained, just give a nick and say here. Tell dog to hold. My lab which was FF, likes to readjust the hold when she gets to the check which can include dropping. For her, the first bird of the morning, I give a nick and here on first bird and that usually settles it. I do same with training, when she first starts she is wired, but then settles into. Problem is you have let it go this long, going to be work to train it out.

4. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Have him sit before he drops it. Front facing you. Tell him hold. Tell him heel. If he drops, pick up the bird, place it in his mouth and tell him hold. Tap under his lower jaw. Hold.

5. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

This probably correctable even if the dog is now 8 yrs old. Adere to what the guys said above and just about any training program will help you thru this. What is a shame is that you allowed this to happen so many yrs ago w/o doing anything about it.

6. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

Will he drop the bird if it is still alive? That is more of a problem than just dropping a dead bird short of your hand!!

Doc E likes this.
  7. wanapasaki

wanapasaki Senior Refuge Member

He's 8. If he gets the job done, enjoy it while it lasts. You can teach an old dog new tricks, but you aren't running field trials. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless he is losing break away birds

gadwall52 likes this.
  8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I don't care about delivering to hand. What I care about and thankful for is that at 9 years old she jumps and swims in icy waters like a young dog and is happy to do it, is just fine with me. Dropping the bird at my feet or a couple of feet away on the shore as she shakes is ok with me.