Delta Urges President Bush To Honor Promise to Hunters

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by seastreet, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

GD I understand, what you are saying, but at least in ND, farmers and investors are being very cautious in building plants. Our state is one of the first to push the hemp issue and it is being looked at on the Fed level. You guys are sunk as far as I can see. You have a well intended Gov that is promoting a economic postilion and has from my view been pushing to help our wetlands and habitat, but has not been given a bill to sign to do so.

On a side note, have the crappies started to show up on Star, and Loon?

2. greatdogs

greatdogs Senior Refuge Member

Ron,
    I dunno about the crappies. I'll have to get a fishing report from the old farmers when they come in for coffee and to play cards (usually Fridays). We live on a small lake, only 53 acres. Winter fishing is usually not that good but spring 'til around Memorial Day is butt whooping good! If I could only get a trolling motor mounted on that 1066, I'd have it made!

As far as dedicated funding, I dont think it's gonna amount to much. By the time the metro legislators get finished tacking amendments on, it will be but a shell of a wetland protection bill.

In a few years there might be some ethanol plants to be bought at fire sale prices. Most likely Big Oil or Big Ag will wind up with them. Taxpayers aren't going to put up with subsidizing ethanol. Look at ethanol consumption in your state when the price went on par (or higher) with unleaded gas.

3. Drev

Drev Elite Refuge Member<br>In Memory<br>12/02/55 - 07/

Now there is someone who connected the dots:tu

That is the goal, you wont get away from big oil:fp

4. greatdogs

greatdogs Senior Refuge Member

While going over todays emails, I found this:

Groups Seek Corn On CRP Land

Some 30 national and state agribusiness groups have asked the U.S. government to give farmers flexibility to plant corn without penalty on cropland idled through the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) so there will be enough grain for ethanol producers and livestock feeders.

Full story is at: http://cornandsoybeandigest.com/corn/corn-crp-land/

5. Marshmaster

Marshmaster Elite Refuge Member

Switchgrass is not the answer. You have another single species crop that begs for fertilizer and eventually insecticide protection.

What would be better is using prairie grasses since they are multi-species, provide drought protection due to their deeper root systems, and with their multi-species make-up will provide better insect protection. Plus, you should get better overall yields. Not only, that but you have better wildlife habitat for ground nesting birds.

You still have problems with high amounts of water usage and having to find places for the waste water.

Marshmaster

6. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Tom - switchgrass is a prairie grass, and is included in many government approved CRP/CREP type applications due to its deep root system. I think what you are getting at, however, is the effect of having a monoculture on the landscape.

The folks at DU, Delta, PF, etc. dropped the ball by not pulling against the ethanol band wagon earlier. What did they think would happen to all of that prairie grass when taxpayer subsidized corn based ethanol production took off? Our conservation leaders have been absent - and they'll all point the finger at Bush. Meanwhile we, as sportsmen, will not hold those leaders accountable for their lack of foresight on this issue. Isn't that part of why we donate - for their foresight?