Delta waterfowl 2017 waterfowl breeding report by %

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Spec, Sep 26, 2017.

1. BMan

BMan Elite Refuge Member

Wigeon have always been one of our most common and reliable birds - Hope that continues even with these counts - we havent been seeing gadwall in our area the last few years :scratch:scratch......... not that I care - would much rather eat a wigeon any day....

2. Spec

Spec Gold Refuge Member

I agree in fact I just breast out my gaddies unless I was going to Mount them when I was doing taxidermy stuff!

3. bojingles

bojingles Elite Refuge Member

Yes, Duck numbers are definitely down...

You have to take "counts" with a grain of salt. I just read that the DFG reported the lowest salmon returns at the feather river damn in history. Perhaps its because of historically high water and the salmon piling up by the thousands at the outlet not moving further up-river--ask any fisherman who has fished the river lately--best fishing in years. "Counts" don't always "add" up.

4. BMan

BMan Elite Refuge Member

Of course -

Fish are pretty hard to count - they can tell you what came up the river but they have their work cut out when it comes to predictions.
    I would hope the counts of birds via fly overs would be a little more reliable that trying to estimate how many fish are in the ocean and ready to come back..........

even with a big margin of error its not good to see numbers down -
    Not yelling that the sky is falling I just dont remember wigeon numbers ever being an issue - even at almost 20% down they havent added any restrictions to their limit so there isnt a concern at the top........yet

5. I missed?

I missed? Senior Refuge Member

Last year, according to the information on the DU site, Wigeon were 31% above their Long Term Average. So even if this count came up lower than last year by 19%, the population appears to be above the LTA. They fall below it, I'd bet we start to see some restriction on bag limit.

http://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-surveys/2016/duck-numbers?id=18

However, I could be confused on how the bag limits are set.

6. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

What should be of real concern to all waterfowlers is the disconnect between the USF&WS/DU take on the once-called "Fall Flight" and what Delta is reporting.

Like I've said many times before: "You can prove anything with The Bible; U.S. Supreme Court opinions; or statistics."

So be aware, neither this season nor the next, may be what you have long remembered.

I missed? likes this.
  7. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

The government's "long-term average" has been changing over time, so a declining statistical trend doesn't look so bad, over time, because the time period of evaluation is greater. So by using "index numbers" and other statistical manipulations, what they're not actually telling you is that there are fewer ducks now than there were back during the 1960s, when the limits were greatly reduced on the Mississippi Flyway where nearly half of the North American waterfowl populations are suppose to migrate.