Devils Lake fishing question

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by NWRINGNECK, Oct 26, 2017.

1. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

This got sort of long....sorry

One of my sons now lives in MN so I’m making a couple of trips a year through your wonderful state. Unlike many people I enjoy driving through farm and prairie country. I’m always looking at the wildlife, etc.

Anyway, while I still waterfowl hunt I’m becoming more of a fisherman in my senior years. Our winters here in Eastern Washington now rarely let me ice fish but that does not seem to be a problem in North Dakota. :)

While I fish for pan fish, Walleyes and trout on my own around home.... while traveling to visit my son hauling all the gear for ice fishing would be a pain so I’m looking at a day or two ice fishing with a guide on the famous Devils Lake coming and/or going on my winter trip.

Finally my problem....... it looks like I’d better do a guided ice fishing trip. The info on the net is either out dated or confusing to my tired old mind. It looks like the big time guide outfits fill up with reservations way ahead of the actual ice up seasons.

Now my question.......Since I don’t know when I’ll be traveling through the area is it possible to just show up in the area after ice up in Dec and/or Jan and find a guide for some ice fishing? I’ll probably swing up there on my trip this winter but was just wondering if any of you Dakota folks had any words of wisdom for me.

Thanks in advance for any insight or tips on fishing that area

BTW........I’m just a fisherman “not a trophy fisherman”.

2. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

3. NWRINGNECK

Thank you. The resorts and guides are still in open water mode.

I’ve found several websites on the resorts and guides.

Just was looking for first hand info on the possibility of just stopping by and getting into some fishing. Looking back at my post I guess it was sort of a stupid post.

I’ll just bring my gear and drive up there depending on my time frame of travel. When you are retired every day is Saturday unless you are on vacation. Never have seen the lake/area so what the heck....just stop by and look it over. My main problem will be making holes. Out here even when there was a good ice year a foot of ice was huge so hand augers were used. With a hand auger I’ll be limited to opening up old holes unless I’m guessing wrong.

Thanks again for the reply

4. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

I would probably get a guide if you're just going to be around for a day or two and don't have someone with you who has fished it before; I can't imagine they're that booked up especially on weekdays. It's a huge lake and the bite can be pretty fickle in the winter; in my experience you're probably not just going to plop down and start catching fish (although I'll admit I've not fished it a lot).

5. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

make a list of guides contact info now. When you know about 1 week in advance when you'd like to stop and fish, call down your list. Somebody should have space for 1 additional angler. You'll want to determine what species you would like to fish for. Devils is world famous for the perch fishing. Also phenomenal walleye fishing, and lots of big pike as well.

6. NWRINGNECK

Thanks for the replies. I’ll follow your suggestions. Thanks again

7. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

They have a ice fishing availability calendar on the Woodland site here's the month of January for instance with lots of openings.

Screenshot_20171101-065719.jpg