DFG sticks it to unattached waterfowl hunters.

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by buriani, Oct 23, 2005.

1. huntandfishguy

huntandfishguy Refuge Member

I can't speak for anyone else but what I am saying is the F&G FWS has a history of shutting down freelance hunting spots and trying to put all us hunters into a nice neat box of refuge hunters. Maybe some of us don't like that. And my point as was the OP's is that when they take an historical hunting spot away whatever the reason we all lose....Personally I would quit hunting before I hunted refuges but would fight until my last breath to keep them open. It seems you will only fight for your own personal preferences and what you think hunting is.....kinda sad really

2. ditchbanker

ditchbanker Elite Refuge Member

That's one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is that a wealthy landowner of an exclusive club thought of a way to make his club even more exclusive by tying up PUBLIC LAND and enlisted the help of non-profits and public agencies to help him do it...organizations and individuals that he had personal and employment influence over...the very people who less affluent public hunters look to to represent them.

C'mon Speckslayer...it was a backroom deal and you know it. Wrong is wrong no matter how you might try and rationalize it.

3. huntandfishguy

Speckslayer, Let me give you an example of something I am somewhat familiar with. The whole Sutter bypass and Yolo causeway flood plain system. Back in the 70's the DFG put into the regs a provision banning hunters from hunting temporarily flooded lands. Mind you these floodplains are designed to flood and in my opinion are temporarily dry not temporarily flooded. So they have the Sherriff running around chasing us out of spots my grandfather has hunted since the 40's.Tidal areas in my opinion which our constitution guarantees me access to. They are not stopping fisherman just hunters. It is my understanding that the clubs didn't like freelancers hunting water over their leases....well tough. The CWA mostly club guys were for the closure and probably were the ones that pushed for the law. Once again screwing the freelance hunters 100's if not thousands of unattached hunters. There was challenge to this law "Gray Hills" and the guy won. Now it seems to be that if your not hunting water over a club you wont be bothered wink wink. But has the DFG taken the law off the books? No. Since then there has been effort to gate off roads and access points restrict parking etc. essentially making the fact whether it is legal to hunt or not moot. The DFG Sherriff etc. once again screwing freelance hunters trying to put us all in the refuge box and CWA doing nothing to stop it.

My opinion

4. Kurt Baer

Kurt Baer Senior Refuge Member

Kevin, you are missing the point. It is a simple one. These lands belong to the public. Any change to their use the public should be notified about ahead of time and allowed to comment.

It would be like the City of Sanger taking the closest park to your house and building high density housing in its place and not allowing you to comment on it.

It is the reason Sunshine Acts exist.

5. huntandfishguy

I think this is a waste of breath...You would have a better chance of getting the ACLU to listen to the plight of the unattached freelance hunter than the CWA.

6. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

Easy on CWA. The title of the thread was DFG.

As I type this, Mark Hennelly of CWA is attending a public hunter's meeting for Yolo and Grizzly Island Wildlife Areas. No other hunting organization in CA will be in attendance at the meeting, to my knowledge.

I know he is also working on trying to persuade the Bureau to release water for LK.

The Share Program has opened-up private areas to public access.

George O. does tremendous work with the Youth program.

If you hunt ducks in CA, you should be a member. 18,000-20,000 are members. Duck stamp sales are around 60 K???

CWA gets it right most of the time. :tu

7. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

Gray Hills.....I like the good fight that he took. Fortunately, for the free lance hunter, he had the time and $ to do it.

It has been recommended by CWA to take the CA Attorney General Opinion of the case with you when you hunt flooded waters. I know this has been discussed on this site a few years ago.

Colusa Shooting Club......take down the wing damn you put across Butte Creek so that boats can't get past your club. In fact, I think your clubhouse sits on the Creek. Isn't that public property???:l

8. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

It is more about the process Kevin. These properties were closed down based off of who's observations?

How much public input went it to making these decisions? What other alternatives were discussed? If the mitigation was to add a couple of rice blinds for public use then what has become of that?

I think folks are more troubled with the lack of transparency here and what considerations went into the mitigation plans.

9. huntandfishguy

Sorry CalBaer, I call it like I see it. It was widely talked about that CWA backed the big money clubs in the sink that wanted hunters off their clubs when they flooded. And I see that once again they are backing big money over the unattached freelancer which was the title of this topic. I love the CWA but lets not fool ourselves job one isn't looking out for the unattached hunter. Never has been.

10. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

I'll concede that point. If DFG didn't allow public input, they were wrong.

Not sure it would have changed anyone's opinion, but it should have been publicly vented.