DFG sticks it to unattached waterfowl hunters.

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by buriani, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

Maybe it was but you are wrong to include CWA in it. AFTER the deal was done, F&G asked DU to create wetlands and CWA to run a hunt program. Place the blame solely on F&G and I'll shut up.

2. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

If this is the new norm ( CWA taking over public hunt areas ) then CWA should hold public meetings discussing the hunt program.

3. Speckslayer

OMG :doh F&G asked them to run a hunt program, what do you want them to do? Say NO??? Sure as heck isn't anyone else that's going to step up and run it!

Why don't you step up and organize a group of you to meet with CWA and get some real answers to this issue instead of arguing on this stupid board. They are very responsive to their members and I'm sure they'd be happy to meet with any of you that are members.

If you're not a member, please join and become part of the solution :tu

4. huntandfishguy

huntandfishguy Refuge Member

Tell me who I should blame for CWA backing the clubs in the sink and pushing to get tidal water shut down for freelance hunters? Yeah tell me that and I may join instead of bashing them every chance I get for the last 30 years...Don't get me wrong they do a lot of good things just not for the unattached hunter as is evident by Speckslayer's attitude. Some things are sacred to us and access to public waterways is one of them...Wodoo if I gather correctly is similar to the bypass as far as flooded public land goes?...They could shut down the Delta tomorrow and CWA wouldn't lift a finger nor would they care..

Again My opinion

5. Speckslayer

CWA has fought MANY battles that have benefitted you. The rest of us continue to carry the torch for you.

May I ask if you volunteer any of your time for any group or financially support any groups?

I believe your views are uninformed and very short sighted. You can't see the forest for the trees. I wish you luck in your fight - as alone as you are.

6. ditchbanker

ditchbanker Elite Refuge Member

am i wrong to want CWA and DU to go to bat for the public guy?
    am i wrong that the landowner who orchestrated the deal is a VP of DU?
    am i wrong that CWA was aware of this deal while it was in the works and chose to stay out of it because of the individual involed?
    am i wrong that in this case the only loser is the public guy who had no advocate at the table?
    am i wrong to think the news media should be involed now?

7. lewdogg21

lewdogg21 Senior Refuge Member

Some of us are big game hunters and recall how just a short time ago CWA backed the lead ban until all hell broke loose and they fell in line with the rest of the sportsmens groups. Many in here support that ban. Hence I'm not giving CWA any $ for at least a while

Different topic for a different thread though. I agree with much of the sentiment that if DFG is found to illegally restrict access to somewhere they will find another way to work around the legality such as gates, closed roads, etc. It happens in Socal all the time around deer season where the forest gets gated off a week before for no good reason except "fire control". Ironically it happens every year.

My club first hand witnessed the brashness of the BOR up in Klamath when their main guy told our Duck Club president (ex director of DFG btw) to go ahead and sue for our water (which we were legally entitled to have) because they were not going to honor the water rights and give us any. He knew that we couldn't possibly keep a lawsuit going for that long.

The government is not your friend, especially to hunters in this state.

8. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

CWA should have declined the offer and let Bird Haven figure it out. Such as DFW running the draw through the reservation/lotto system currently in place with DFW out of the LDC check station.

Freitas Unit allows draws 3 days a week and allows boats. Why not LDC???:cool:

9. yolo chris

yolo chris Elite Refuge Member

Look CWA does a lot for the birds.. I think we all get that.
    But running hunt programs for DFG on lands that were once truly public and now taken away and or restricted to abided by the deeper pockets is another thing.

Lastly, are you an official spokesperson for CWA? Not a volunteer or a Dinner Chairperson but really someone who can and should speak on CWA's behalf??
    I mean, I volunteered on a couple dinner committees.. I am a member of CWA..
    Doesn't give me the right to speak on their behalf.. As well as just because I donated time and membership money doesn't make me have to agree with the direction they seem to be going.
    My 2cents

10. huntandfishguy

huntandfishguy Refuge Member

Please enlighten me as to how You consider anything I have written as uninformed. The CWA is a great advocate for club and refuge hunters as well as waterfowl in general They just don't care about freelance hunters the topic of this thread. Maybe you can tell me what they did to try and stop massive closures to the brant hunting in Tomales Bay (Not the south wetlands)? I am not on their mailing list and would love to know.... Again CWA does great things for ducks and some hunters they just don't seem to care about all of us. NRA DU and Steve's new Heritage foundation not to mention letter writing every chance I get. When an organization like CWA does me wrong It is really hard to give it my support. I could be wrong I have avoided them for the last 30 years but Wodoo seems to confirm my stance.

And I can see the forest just fine....It's getting smaller and smaller as we (unattached freelancers) keep losing hunting and fishing opportunity....