Dick's Sporting Goods Caved...

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by PrairieDream'n, Feb 28, 2018.

1. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

Apples and oranges. Dicks' is not violating anyone's rights by refusing to sell a gun to someone. The plaintiff can still buy and own all the guns he wants.

I like freedom, whether it is the freedom to own a gun or the freedom to not sell one to someone.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  2. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

What he said.
    The govt. nor anyone else is forcing Dicks to sell guns, they chose to do that, exercising the freedom that you said I hate. I would assume that Dicks follows all applicable laws when making a gun sale. If the law allows a 20 year old to purchase a gun, I would expect Dicks to allow that as well. jmho.... Or can they just pick which laws they like, and ignore the rest? I guess the courts will decide......

3. hartfish

The law ALLOWS. Big difference...

4. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

1. Dick's can choose to sell or not sell AR style firearms;

2. If Dick's chooses to sell a particular gun, then Dick's cannot refuse to sell that gun to someone under 21 but agree to sell to someone 21 and older, just like it cannot choose to sell only to whites and not to blacks.

Frankly I think the whole age thing needs to be fixed. Either you are an adult or you are not. Fix the age of majority at 18 or 21 and that rule applies across the board. Drinking, smoking, voting, guns.

cootmeurer likes this.
  5. hartfish

Thank you for making my point. It should be up to a business, not the government. Freedom, and all that.
    Why is choosing to sell a product any different than who they choose to sell it to? Maybe the kid should try to force Dick's to sell him an AR.
    I agree on the age thing. Consistency would be nice.

6. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

LOL....you do realize the 2nd is right, right? You do realize that forcing a religious retailer to sell a gay wedding cake is not a right, right?.....not talking perception,but constitution here.

7. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

You are correct. The 2nd covered in the Constitution covers every US Citizen. Forcing a religious retailer to sell a gay wedding cake falls under Public Accommodation Laws in the States that have them.

These 19 States/District have Public Accommodation Laws that prohibit discrimination based on age: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and District of Columbia.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/state-public-accommodation-laws.aspx

8. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

So - then you agree that Dicks can set any policy they like? Perhaps refusing to sell guns to anyone over 50 and under 21. That would fit the militia theory that only military age should hVe guns. Would it be okay to change that rule further - maybe only sell to those older than 30 and younger than 40, is that still OK?

9. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you, a business should be free to sell or not sell any product to whomever it wants. I disagree with all the "public accommodation" laws. There is no government action and "public accommodation" is a made up phrase to trigger constitutional protections for non state action.

That said, based on the current state of constitutional law, you cannot refuse to sell a gun to an 18-20 year old that is for sale in your store as that would be age discrimination. I also don't get the whole handgun "law" of 21, or drinking laws of 21. Adulthood in the US is 18. To vote, to serve in the military and everything else. Passing a state or federal law that restricts certain rights unless you are 21 would appear to be unconstitutional.

The_Duck_Master and hartfish like this.
  10. hartfish

Yes. Dick's is a business. The government should not be telling businesses what they can and can't do. Dicks' should be able to sell to whoever they choose for virtually any reason they choose. Granted, I'm not in favor of selling booze or ARs to 12-year-olds.
    I'm all for freedom. Aren't you?