Did anyone kill any ducks on the second opener

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Mallet67, Jan 6, 2018.

1. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

MW, you’re kind of a dick. Tuleman has been nothing but kind to me when I visit the Bottoms. If we had a bigger budget I’d imagine a lot of the issues the Bottoms have could be helped but as it stands, we can’t even manage to find the money to fund public schools in the state, killing cattails and money for millet seed just isn’t gonna make it to the top of the budget unless the way KDWPT is funded changes (sales tax like MO for example).

If you hate everyone here why bother posting?

Neck Collar likes this.
  2. Iowa

Iowa Refuge Member

I would just like to point out that its actually 87.2%.

Tuleman likes this.
  3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Good one, Iowa.

And, while we're on the subject,
    A year or two?? Another example of MT either having low math skills or deliberately distorting the truth to make his position seem credible.
    Not that it makes any difference, but the span between our join dates is 2 years 8 months.

4. MrMallard88

MrMallard88 Senior Refuge Member

I can see we've got a forum full of math geniuses here...

5817 / 745 = 7.81 * 100 = 780% more posts.

100% more is double. There's your sanity check for future reference.

MW has made (745 / 5817) 12.8% the amount of posts that Tuleman has made.

And just for good measure -- I agree with all of Marshwalkers points he's making, just maybe not the way he's going about making them. Keep your cards close, or you'll almost always lose -- and burning/disking cattails can't be that expensive. Hell, I'd throw in $100 for gas. Maybe we all should. I don't even hunt there - but it'd be worth it just to get rid of the cattails, let natural food get in there, and stop the complaining.

Carry on.

Renobber, twells and Marshwalker like this.
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

You do realize your numbers and his line up exactly (just inverse), right? :scratch

100 - 87.2 = 12.8
    100 - 12.8 = 87.2

It was the same difference...

6. MrMallard88

I understand, perfectly. It's actually not the same difference.

If MW had made 5072 posts -- then he would have made 87.2% of Tulemans total posts.
    Because he's only made 745 -- that's 12.8%.

Or if you did it the other way --- 87.2% more posts than MW would be (745 * 1.872) 1395 posts - which is not how many posts Tuleman has made.

Very simple to understand, actually.

Anyway, carry on.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    stevena198301 likes this.
  7. stevena198301

I wasn't trying to argue your math. MW posted that Tule made 90% more posts than him (I do disagree with his math, as it would mean, like you said, MW would have actually made MORE posts than Tule). I should have been more clear... 87.2+12.8 OR 12.8+87.2 still nets you 100. Same difference was a poor choice of words on my part, IRT math. :l

8. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Cattails are natural food. The rhizomes nurture and contain lots of invertebrates that are essential for ducks. Not to mention providing essential overhead cover. They're just not conducive to duck hunting.

stevena198301 likes this.
  9. MrMallard88

Good point, gadwall52.

But there are also other naturally occurring plants that harbor invertebrates, and provide essential overhead cover for ducks - when they aren't being choked out. Some plant diversity certainly wouldn't hurt anything, Moist soil seeds for breakfast, and some invertebrates for dinner.

I'm not pointing fingers -- it does seem like the issue is being addressed, and progress is being made.

10. stevena198301

Does anyone happen to have pics of pool 4A or 4B from the road, from 2005-2006 timeframe? Didn't that all used to be buttonbush, or something? My FIL has a video of them out there from then, and it looks DRASTICALLY different than it did when I saw it my last few trips out. I remember hunting pool 2 in either 2008 or 2009 and as I recall, it wasn't full of cattail then either. Whatever year it was, it had been bone dry the year before, I'm told.