Did anyone kill any ducks on the second opener

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Mallet67, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You might think so, but here are some numbers for you:
    The tractors used by the Bottoms burn about 12 gallons of diesel per hour when under load. They can disk about 8-12 acres per hour, depending on how wet the ground is. The flood areas of the hunting pools encompass about 10,000 acres. Each acre has to be disced at least twice, and in many cases three times, in order to be effective on the cattail roots. Off-road diesel is about $2 a gallon. Add in the costs of DEF, hydraulic oil, repairs to the tractors and discs, operator's wages, etc., and you can see that it really IS costly.

Thanks for the offer of $100; make the check out to CBWMA and send it to the Pratt offices. :tu

Until you've actually done it, you have no idea how difficult, time-consuming, and expensive it is. The biggest problem, however, is its ineffectiveness: even after discing three times, the cattails will be back in two-three years, just as thick as ever. So, mowing-burning-discing-discing is only temporary. The best the staff at CB can do is concentrate on one pool each year with the time/money/personel available. There are five hunting pools. That means they never catch up....and if they can't dry out any pools, it means they don't even have the chance to get started.

If it were that easy, '88, it would have been done a long time ago.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Neck Collar likes this.
  2. Tuleman

The year before 2008 was 2007. 2007 was the year when the Bottoms was completely flooded and in 2008 it still had mucho water.
    The only year in the last 12 years Pool 2 was bone dry was 2012, as I recall.
    So whatever year it was, it was probably 2013.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

:l I was fairly aware 2007 came directly before 2008... I was meaning whatever year it was I came out there. And I may be mixing up my trips. It may have been my 13 trip when I was told it was bone dry the year before. I don’t visit the bottoms every trip, and I’ve only hunted 2 once, and it wasn’t full of cattail. It was mostly a mud flat with big open areas and small patches of cover, mostly cattail. That hunt was in 2008. Only seeing it every few years, it looks drastically different every trip.

4. Tuleman

You got that right.

5. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

If you clean your house every day for a few minutes, your house never looks like a complete mess. If you neglect your house and do no cleaning for 5 yrs your house becomes a disaster zone. That is what basically happened at the
    Bottoms on Karls watch. Now it is going to be a very time consuming, expensive summer of cleaning once they get the new people hired.

twells likes this.
  6. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Cattail seeds are viable for practically forever so I don't think they're going to be eliminated any time soon. The cheapest and most effective way to control them is by grazing, cattle love them. But that would require draining the pool cause you don't want cattle plodding around in mud.

7. MrMallard88

MrMallard88 Senior Refuge Member

Tuleman - sounds like you've got all the information you need to effectively develop a plan. Plan the plan - work the plan - refine the plan.

Again, I dont hunt there - so I don't really have a dog in the fight. Last time I was there was Fall of 2013 -- lot more kochia than cattails that year. Perhaps attributed to the 2012 drought you mentioned.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is asking for / expecting them to fix the problem in one off-season. As you said, it will take years, and obviously there are factors beyond the area manager's control - budget, time, weather, personnel, etc.

Neck Collar likes this.
  8. twells

twells Senior Refuge Member

I just want to say I think this thread is awesome. You can tell it’s towards the end of duck season.

Renobber likes this.
  9. twells

twells Senior Refuge Member

Double jeopardy:

What is my percentage of posts compared to tuleman’s?

Renobber likes this.
  10. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Friday You all keep arguing and having a measuring contest. I"ll just finish out this weekend...... Snapchat-1496518225.jpg

JP, Renobber, Reelcranky and 2 others like this.