Did Science find the fountain of youth?

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by CPLZ, Apr 8, 2015.

1. CPLZ

CPLZ Senior Refuge Member

In the normal course of aging, your tissue losses its ability to develop and repair as fast as it did when you were young. That's because stem cells, which are abundant in your youth, decline with the passing of time. The U of T team found that with the TIMP1 and TIMP3 architects missing, the pool of stem cells expanded and remained functional throughout the lifetime of these mice.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150408124628.htm

2. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Super, keep people alive longer so we can overpopulate the planet even more. Who's going to pay for all those people too?

3. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

It's true.

I believe we will come to a point...someday, where the only ethical scenario will be one where people have to make the decision to undergo (or not) sterilization in return for substantially (hundreds of years) longer lives.

4. ratherBhunting

ratherBhunting Elite Refuge Member

You've obviously never been to the south west, PLENTY of room in Arizona, New Mexico, and texas

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I mentioned this in another thread, but Mother Nature will come up with something nasty... And, if she does not, with that many people, we will likely solve our own issues (i.e. war).

But, for the life of me, I do not understand why we are not addressing over-population currently? Without some terrible catastrophe, it is fairly evident that we will be facing some serious population issues in the near future... Which would likely be the catalyst for said catastrophe.

6. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Never said anything about room, 95% of the country is not developed, there's plenty of room. The issue is whether or not the environment will support the herd (people).

7. 7bartman

7bartman Elite Refuge Member

Not even close. If I only had a nickel for every publication I've read about promising findings in animals

8. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

If I'm not mistaken (and, yes, that is possible... :l ), some 30+ years ago I heard/read that Henry Kissinger was quoted as saying that the world population 'control' required that upwards of 250,000 people PER DAY needed to die around the world in order for us to avoid overwhelming all of the natural resources. That would seem to be a logical number when you look at it objectively.

9. PBGaddy

PBGaddy Senior Refuge Member

Plenty of water too? Being from California you ought to know better............

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Technology and advancements have pushed things back for sure... But, if we keep growing in number, at some point we will begin to consume more resources than we can provide... I have no idea what that number is, and I do not see it occurring in my life-time, but at some point the world we become far more crowded, and any disease will have the opportunity to spread much more quickly and efficiently.

I also think that 20, 50, and 100 years from now, the quality of life will be far different from what we know today... I think for most of us on this forum, it would be a poor quality of life...