Did You Get This Year's Flu Shot ?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Doc E, Dec 6, 2017.

  1. Triple BB

    Triple BB Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    2,616
    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2001
    Location:
    WY
    My employer pays the cost of the shot. So I get one every year.

    As I see it, a 10% chance of not getting the flu is better than Doc's precious metals investment advice 100% of the time.
     
    dux/24 7 and stevena198301 like this.
  2. bang you'r dead

    bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

    Messages:
    10,381
    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2003
    Location:
    The Pas Manitoba
    "On average, past flu vaccines have been about 42 percent effective, though that number can range anywhere from 10 to 60 percent in a given year.

    But Sabeti says even though the effectiveness of this year's vaccine is particularly low, it's still worthwhile to get a flu shot.

    "Even 10 percent effective is better than nothing, and a lot of it has to do with herd immunity -- the more people are protected from it, the more other people will also be protected," she said. "In fact, in a year where it's low effectiveness, it's even more important that everybody get it so we can get as much resistance and we don't allow the virus to thrive and grow and keep changing."

    Experts say that if you do get the flu, it will likely be less severe if you have gotten a flu shot.

    The CDC estimates that the flu virus has caused between 9.2 million and 35.6 million illnesses in the U.S. each year since 2010. Those cases resulted in between 140,000 and 710,000 hospitalizations, and between 12,000 and 56,000 deaths each year."

    Flu cases this season are double what they were last year. Make your own choice , based on best available evidence.
     
  3. hobbydog

    hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    6,237
    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2002
    Location:
    Minnesota
    He is just doing the math and explaining it as he goes. If you can't follow the math a link won't do you much good.
     
    Doc E and tcc like this.
  4. J.Bennett

    J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    6,585
    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2008
    Location:
    Acampo, California
    huntineveryday and Doc E like this.
  5. J.Bennett

    J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    6,585
    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2008
    Location:
    Acampo, California
    I don’t disagree... just figured that since the op didn’t post any citations (other than an article that said the flu vaccine was 10% effective, nothing regarding what NNT is or where his NNT numbers came from) and since everyone seemed ok with it that this particular standard didn’t apply to this thread.
     
  6. J.Bennett

    J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    6,585
    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2008
    Location:
    Acampo, California
    This is the exact misconception that I addressed in my first post... 10% effective means that your relative risk of getting infected is reduced by 10%. If 7% of people get infected, a 10% effective vaccine means that if you are vaccinated, you have a 6.3% chance of catching the flu (or a 93.7% chance of not catching it). What you said above would only be correct if 100% of unvaccinated people caught the flu.
     
  7. API

    API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

    Messages:
    24,970
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2008
    Location:
    SoCal
    I've personally received a flu shot annually for quite some time and haven't had the flu. On the other hand, I've had the prescribed round of two pneumonia shots and still last year I got pneumonia. Go figure how the odds played out for that.
     
  8. J.Bennett

    J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    6,585
    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2008
    Location:
    Acampo, California
    I don’t know the exact numbers off-hand, but I do know that the pneumococcal vaccine is more effective at protecting against invasive pneumococcal infection (infection of the blood or brain/spinal tissues/fluids) than it is at preventing pneumonia (pneumococcal infection of the lungs). Generally speaking, the invasive infection is more dangerous than pneumonia. Even though it is less effective at preventing pneumonia, it does appear to reduce the severity of illness (fewer hospitalizations for pneumonia).
     
    Squaller and API like this.
  9. soiltester

    soiltester Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    6,182
    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2006
    Location:
    South Carolina
    AND dat's da' truth!!!!

    All I do is get the flu after the shot :clap Da' heck with that noise .. I can catch it by myself .. if I have too:grvn
     
  10. 10GAGENUT

    10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

    Messages:
    12,806
    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2003
    Location:
    JeffcoMO

Share This Page