Did You Get This Year's Flu Shot ?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Doc E, Dec 6, 2017.

1. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Excellent explanation of the numbers. Thank you.

The question that I seem to run into annually centers around my "risk factors" weighed out versus the downside of contracting the flu versus the risk of putting an additional lab-made concoction into my body.

What I mean is...I don't spend my days around many other people. Other than going to the gym daily, I may only see my family plus one or two others. Mathematically my factors there are low. Now I have two kids and a wife who works in the schools, so they definitely bring things home. That increases my risk factor. I'm healthy and not in any way immunocompromised and getting the flu definitely sucks, but it's not going to kill me. So the third piece, and I realize this may not be "rational"(I really do) is that if I'm not around a lot of people and I'm healthy, then why am I going to put something that was made in a lab (under comparatively "rushed" versus typical FDA drug approval guidelines) into my body? And I'm not making a statement here. I really am asking. Every time I think about it, given this particular set of circumstances, I opt against it. But maybe I'm just being paranoid or foolish. I've been wrong in the past. (Once. Maybe.)

For people who are elderly or sickly or work in a hospital or, etc., etc., etc. I absolutely see the logic in it. For me, I just never have. But I'm open to hearing how dumb I am.

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

There is no better germ factory than that gym you go to every day...the cleanest gyms are filthy.

One of the challenges in having anti-vaccers in the community is that they or their kids might not get deathly ill, but they may pass along a virus to someone who is not so fortunate as to have a perfect immune system.

cast&blast likes this.
  3. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

The Spanish influenza outbreak during WWI took the healthiest. In a lot of the cases that result in deaths it is the immune system that goes into overdrive and results in other complications it can take healthy people.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I don't think most were "OK" with it, so much as they just dismissed it for what it was... :yes

5. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Agreed. Only place, other than a hospital, you're likely to get MRSA. That said, I'm fanatical about washing my hands, using anti-bac and not touching my face @ the gym. Not foolproof, I know.

Understood. A tad extreme example but duly noted.

But again, this brings us back to the risk-v-reward scenario.
    I guess what I'd like to really understand, or a least learn a lot more about, is what (if any) risk factors exist from the regular (annual) acceptance of the vacc. For example, how real is Guillain Barre? is there any measurable merit to the idea that you're decreasing your body's natural immune system by getting the shot annually? Have there ever been any examples of "bad batches"? There are a million questions like these that I'd be interested in.

Just to be clear, I'm no anti-vaxxer. I believe in all of the "standard" immunizations. but we all have to admit that we have many, many, many times the amount of long-term data on those vaccines than we have data on something that is formulated, from scratch, every year to try and combat a given year's particular flu strain.

6. cast&blast

cast&blast Elite Refuge Member

The flu shots have worked well for me. I'm prone to getting the flu. As a kid growing up I caught the flu not once but twice every year. I'd be sick as a dying dog for a week to a week and a half each time. Started getting a yearly flue shot and last June was the first time in 30 yrs I've had the flu, and that was enough to remind me to keep getting the flu shot every year.

7. Lester Scaup

Lester Scaup Elite Refuge Member

I had shingles in 1964 when I was 13. Just sayin'.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Undoubtable, others on this forum (such as JBennet) are more qualified to make assertations as to the effectiveness or not of the flu shots...

But, being in the medical field, it seems that when we solve one problem we inevitably potentially cause another. Physicians have to decide whether the problem they are solving is worse than the one they are creating when treating any given patient with medications, vaccines, etc...

But, I have often wondered if the push for the flu shots is based on a concern for the health of society, or whether it is more based on financial incentive for the industry?

Kaiser gives free Flu shots, with the idea that they are saving more money by prevention, as I imagine there is a cost to giving every member a flu shot... This would point towards a concern for the health of society. That does not mean it is a well-informed concern...

As previously stated, I survived my childhood without flu vaccinations, and I suppose my children will as well. I will likely continue my yearly flu vaccinations in hopes that I am reducing my risk of infection, but will likely have my children pass on the needle.

My own anecdotal experiences with the flu shot have been mixed… I have been the only person in the household to have the flu shot, and there have been years when I was the only person that did not get a “bad bug” in the household… However, there have been two years when I was the sickest dog in the house and one of those years, either the rest of the family did not catch the bug, or it was so insignificant there were no symptoms, and I was literally bed-ridden (which is one of the reasons my wife still opts out of the shot).

9. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

A quick google search shows that according to the CDC that the monetary loss to business and industry is between 7 and 8+ Billion yearly.

10. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Can't do the flu shot. I'm allergic to eggs.